Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son of a [email protected][email protected] am so freaking stupid. Got my new lines on and went to the dealer to get some brake fluid. Parts guy knows I ride a 10R and recommends this Belray DOT 5 silicone fluid as the best. So I take his word for it and go home to proceed to bleed my brakes. I now have DOT 5 silicone fluid in my system! I did a quick search on DOT 5 fluid, after the fact (this is why I am so freaking stupid), to find out that silicone dot5 can degrade the seals, requires frequent changing, compresses easily, can sludge in the system. Only good thing is that it does not mess up paint (but I can give a crap less about that right now). Serves me right for listening to the kawi parts guy at my shop.:sad: I checked the owners manuel aswell and it says only to use dot4.

so what...I am screwed because I read that this silicone fluid is hard to get out once it is in your system. I have to admit the brakes feel OK, but I am pissed off and want to get this silicone crap out of the system.

any suggestions? or am I just screwed now and have to use this DOT 5 stuff. Is there a way I can I flush this stuff out and get the glycol paint destroying stuff back in?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dont freak out Mang. Drain system, flush it a couple times now. bleed it, ride it for a couple days and repeat. Not the end of world, I had to help out a buddy that he thought he would have bad ass brakes on his Mustang. Dot 5 is like ultra hydrostatic, meaning soaks water up fast, hard to seal the elements out and has no lubracting factor, big advantge is that it holds up well in heat that most DOT 3-4 break down

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that just the opposite where Dot 5 does not attract water. I also read that once silicone dot 5 is in the system it is tough to get out and that you are better off just keeping DOT 5 in.

Regardless, I want to get some info on this subject from ya'll. I am really thinking about doing exactly what you said and doing an extensive flush with cheap dot4, then use the good stuff after.

I am going to give the parts guy at my dealership a "talking to" aswell for recommending the wrong stuff for my bike.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phastone said:
Another example of why you should almost NEVER listen to anything the "mechanics" at dealerships say.
exactly....like I said, shoulda' known better. :headshake

unless anyone else chimes in, I am going to mityvac it out, then flush with a few bottles of cheap fluid, then use the good stuff for final bleed.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just flush it out, go get some Motul 5.1 and run that. The 5.1 is compatiable with 3 and 4 and has better fade resistance from heat than 3/4. Flush it out a couple of times and you will be fine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big Daddy said:
yup a good flush job (had one once :wink: ) and use DOT4 with another bleed job and its good to go.

BD
:lol: ...these pipes (lines) are clean!

It is dot 5 for sure. It is already out....now have to flush it.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Whew. I was worried that I had put DOT 5 in my bike, but its DOT 5.1.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Got the system flushed out real good and added the motul rbf600 last night and bled the blakes really good. Put a zip tie on the lever overnight.

All I can say is wow! :thumbsup: The lever is very solid with no spongy feeling this morning. With the new SBK lines, levers, and brake fluid with proper bleeding, the system feels completely transformed. Going to have to get used to this braking power now.

I would wager that even a new bike could benefit from new brake fluid and bleeding of brakes, since it most likely has air in from the factory.

On the 04/05 models(not sure about 06), make sure to squeeze the hoses between the master cylinders to the resevoirs. This gets alot of the air out right away (especially the rear since it is a larger diameter soft hose).

A few days ago I was reluctant to even mess with my brakes, but now feel like a pro. So to anyone thinking about DIY, I say get the mityvac and go for it. Oh yeah, and don't use:lol: DOT 5.......

·
Registered
39 Posts
here is what many consider the last word on brake fluid:
http://www.sdvsa.org/BrakeFluidFacts.htm
it is a short article and addresses your situation.

as you stated, it is hard to get out of system, flushing or not.
if the bike doesn't have many miles on it, flushing may work
since there are little or no contaminants in a brand new system
for the silicone molecules to lock onto.

generally, like disolves like. so if you don't have and silicone-based elastormers used for seals or lines (and you likely don't) then you
are fine to keep the DOT 5 in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts