Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cleaned my rotors and pistons in the calipers and all i can say is wow! Brakes would shudder before but are smooth as butter now! I cleaned the rotors with a scotch brite and dish soap and then cleaned it again with rubbing alcohol. Note that i have never cleaned the rotors before so you can imagine how dirty they must of been.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i've done it once when i changed the brake pads from stockers to Galfer carbons. Mine wasnt thattttt dirty. Its important to clean the crud off the calipers too, around the pistons and stuff, just fyi

·
Banned
257 Posts
You totally dissasemble the cal's?
Is it very difficult?
I've had busa's with 30, even 40k, never did it

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I developed a bad vibe at 3k miles during a track day, good cleaning has helped, they were nasty dirty.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 how'd you clean the caliper pistons. Totally compress them and just wipe them clean?
Take the pads out of the calipers and compress the pistons out. Then clean the pistons with a good cleaner and scrub with a toothbrush. Very easy to do and take about a half an hour.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
As long as you don't squeeze the brake lever to the point that the caliper pistons pop out completely, you can get them out far enough to really clean them well w/o full removal (which can get messy!). Perhaps put only old brake pad in between left and right side pistons, and squeeze the lever till the pistons clamp the pad. Then get to cleaning. Usually, when clean and dry, hand strength is all that's needed to return the pistons to fully recessed back into calipers.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
yeah make sure not to pump enough brake to get the piston out completely. Take out the brake pad, and pump slowlty to get most of the pistons to stick out, clean up the crap, and then squeeze the pistons back in slowly, put pads back on, and you're set

·
Registered
106 Posts
Use clean brake fluid to clean the pistons.. works mint!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Use clean brake fluid to clean the pistons.. works mint!
Never heard of that before! Really works? Cleans all that grime?!

I usually just use the mild off-the-shelf Autozone carwash soap crap and scrub furiously... hot water helps. But brake fluid? Does it affect the paint on the calipers at all?

...oh, and btw, if you pop the pistons out all the way, you also remove the seals and the fluid behind them... like a dam giving way. Messy and unnecessary! Pushed out to expose the gunk build-up is all that's needed to clean them very well, as the Yamaha mechanic in the video stated.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldnt recomend the clean brake fluid method because of the rubber seals behind the pistons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Forcing all that fluid out of the calipers when compressing the pistons and then, bleeding them after the cleaning makes the brakes feel sooooo good too. It's amazing how you don't notice the slow deterioration in performance until you clean the pistons, calipers, rotors and flush the fluid. Afterwards, you wonder how you even used em at all before you did the service.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldnt recomend the clean brake fluid method because of the rubber seals behind the pistons.
Uhm.. If brake fluid was bad for rubber do you think they would make brake hoses out of rubber? :badteeth:''

It is perfectly safe to use and quite effective...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uhm.. If brake fluid was bad for rubber do you think they would make brake hoses out of rubber? :badteeth:''

It is perfectly safe to use and quite effective...
uhm... Do you think brake lines are solid rubber??? Uhm... Does the can of brake clean say it is safe to spray on rubber piston gaskets??? I believe the purpose of brake clean is to clean grease off of rotors and pads and not rubber components... I wouldnt want my rubber gaskets to dry rot from brake clean.:wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
i acually popped each piston out of the calipers one at a time (using an air gun) and cleaned pistons all up, re-greased the rubber seals inside and slid them back in.

i did them one at a time, as you just put a bit of air pressure in and pop out the one you want.

then all move nice and freely now, my bike only had 3000kms on it when i got it, they were pretty clean, but faded like a bastard. so new fluid and re-grease hopefully will help a bit.

i had the zx14 calipers on my old gen1 and never cleaned them once, in 20,000kms :) awesome things :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts