Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I got my ss lines on and I have been trying to bleed the brakes by hand. Pump brake, open bleed, close bleed, release brake, pump brake, repeat etc. but I haven't been able to build up any pressure whatsoever in the brake lever, i dont see any brake fluid leaving my reservoir, and It doesnt seem like any air is leaving when i open the bleed nipple. What am I doing wrong here?

·
Banned
333 Posts
Okay so I got my ss lines on and I have been trying to bleed the brakes by hand. Pump brake, open bleed, close bleed, release brake, pump brake, repeat etc. but I haven't been able to build up any pressure whatsoever in the brake lever, i dont see any brake fluid leaving my reservoir, and It doesnt seem like any air is leaving when i open the bleed nipple. What am I doing wrong here?
Start at the TOP bleed every banjo bolt going down! sooo in short bleed everything going down!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Something doesnt sound right.....correct me if Im wrong but isnt it, open bleeder, pull brake, close bleeder, release brake, repeat?
no sir :headshake its just as jagleaso described, ie pump, open bleed screw, close, pump, open, close repeat till ya pass out......:wink:

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
jagleaso

crack each banjo bolt individually and let some fluid seep out then tighten (clean up mess) and move to the next one and repeat so that you know fluid has made its way to that particular junction. Once you've done this start by bleeding the MC as you described above a few times(4-5) and then down to a caliper and repeat the same, then the other until done.

Then guess what? start over again with MC and repeat.

BD

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
You can bleed either way, but by pressure bleeding you should be able to get the fluid moving, then you can open bleed into a a bottle filled with fluid .

Do as suggested and crack the top banjo and bleed from there first.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,543 Posts
MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT FILLING UP THE BLACK RUBBER BLADDER IN THE RESEVOIR!!!

Sounds pretty straight forward to those who've done it, but I've seen it happen to 1 too many guys! The black rubber peice in the resevoir is not a filter, it goes on top of the fluid to prevent air from getting in there.

If I'm way off base and you've already got the bladder out properly, then follow the instructions already mentioned. All good advise to this point :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
You can bleed either way, but by pressure bleeding you should be able to get the fluid moving, then you can open bleed into a a bottle filled with fluid .
true i've done it both ways however air travels upward hence the reason i mentioned bleeding the MC first. :wink:

BD

·
GEN II Driver
2,879 Posts
i'm a real big fan of the bleeder vacum pumps you can get at a hardware store for about $30. makes the entire job much mo easy. i'm probably all messed up but i bleed the calipers first to draw the fluid downstream then hit the mc. once i get to the mc the following technique works pretty well: pump vac to build up pressure and then as you open bleeder with one hand vigorously pull the brake lever to the bar and close bleeder. if you have an adjustable brake lever run it all the way out so there's more pull. repeat this proccess a couple times and you should be all done.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Hey jagleaso, give me a call and I'll drop by to give you a hand...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT FILLING UP THE BLACK RUBBER BLADDER IN THE RESEVOIR!!!

Sounds pretty straight forward to those who've done it, but I've seen it happen to 1 too many guys! The black rubber peice in the resevoir is not a filter, it goes on top of the fluid to prevent air from getting in there.

If I'm way off base and you've already got the bladder out properly, then follow the instructions already mentioned. All good advise to this point :thumbsup:
LOL thanks for that advice, fortunately i didnt make that mistake. I guess I'm just an impatient guy, all fixed now. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
^^^Yeah, it takes a lot of pumping/opening/closing to get fluid down through the lines after starting over like with new lines, m/c, etc.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Got me a Motion Pro vacume bleeder pump a few years ago. Great tool for the buck. Bleeds take a minute start to finish. Simple to use and no mess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts