Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY rear brake is non existant and te front brake is very light i have to pull it in 5/6 of the way until it works when the bike is off but when riding still half i just figured it was the lever adjuster on the bar so i tisted it and it just got loser so im positive its on the tightest setting could this be a problem with air in my lines? I have bled my truck and cars brakes before is it the same concept with the bike? just one bleader nozzle/nut on the brake and is there anything else involved in bleading brakes ? i.e. a way to tighten the wire.... thanks guys

·
Registered
177 Posts
Let me know if you get an answer....My bike is the same way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You need to bleed the brakes and probably flush and replace the old fluid while you're at it. There are plenty of threads on bleeding the brakes, do a search and you'll find a ton of info.

The front brake calipers on the '07 are garbage, and bleeding is only going to make it a little better. I would recommend replacing the calipers with a set from the ZX-14 or an 06-07 CBR1000...night and day difference in braking.

Also...there are no wires in the brake system...not sure what you're talking about there. There are bleeder screws on BOTH calipers, and the M/C. Do the left (clutch) side caliper first, then the other caliper, and then the MC if you need to. Make sure you don't get brake fluid on anything, that shit will eat your paint fast.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Also, I would adjust the lever so that is farther away from the grip. That adjustment changes only the angle of the lever against the M/C, and does not 'adjust' anything in the braking system. If it starts farther away, you can sometimes brake harder and more effectively if you were hitting the bar before.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i bleed calipers first then cylinder. but those calipers do suck so i went with cbr calipers for 1 finger braking

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
thats been answered many times just seach it will show you everything

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
I do believe that's it's DOT 4 brake fluid.

I used an old shop vac to make sure I got all the old brake fluid out

of the calipers, M/C, & lines.

For the calipers, take the brake line & bleeder screw off, (Careful with the

washer & bolt as not to get any contaminates on them) and vac them out.

Make sure you push the pistons back all the way in being careful of the boots.

And vac the M/C & lines.

Re-install, fill and bleed & adjust the brake lever.

Done.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Also, I would adjust the lever so that is farther away from the grip. That adjustment changes only the angle of the lever against the M/C, and does not 'adjust' anything in the braking system. If it starts farther away, you can sometimes brake harder and more effectively if you were hitting the bar before.

My concern was the actuating of the brake in reference to how far the lever is depressed. My front brake doesn't seem to actuate until the lever is 1/2-3/4 of the way compressed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts