Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, Im highly debating the plunge and buying at DRZ400 motard. Not getting rid of the 10, just wanting something to screw off on and have some fun. Anyoen ahve one? Opinions?

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
I keep oogling the Kawi KX250SF motard...Just want for light commute. Only concern for me is most motards have very high seat heights.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Alright, Im highly debating the plunge and buying at DRZ400 motard. Not getting rid of the 10, just wanting something to screw off on and have some fun. Anyoen ahve one? Opinions?
I have a 08 Drz sm. I love it! I love my 10r, but if I could have only 1 bike, it would be a tough choice. You won't regret it!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anything i need to look out for when buying a DRZ? any year better than the next? common issues? i'll be buying used

·
Registered
641 Posts
well, just happy you're buying a real motard. Those stupid hypermotard Ducati's and KTM's that are 1000-1200cc are as heavy if not heavier that a ZX-10. Now they're nice bikes, don't get me wrong...but the whole point of a supermoto is light weight that translates to higher cornering speeds. Personally, I'd prefer street registering a dirtbike. Check out www.electrosport.com, and take a look at their Dakar lighting kits. Adds only 6 lbs to your dirtbike. Trick is to make sure it legal to register your bike in the state you live. Good luck!

·
Registered
536 Posts
+1 I have the zx10r and 05 r1. (hate the r1) I have been trying to sell it or trade it for a motard. I have thought about the drz but its a little underpowered. I am not too picky though and would still pick one up. Right now I am looking at a few ktm and huqvarna 450's and a ktm 625. I really like the ktm 690's but wouldnt have enough from the r1 sale to get one.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about doing a WR450 and motarding it out but I dont want tthe increased maintence, getting 60hp would be nice but for what I doing the DRZ should get it. All I want to do is wheelie and stoppie without worring about plastic bodywork, and occassinally hop a curb or some stairs. It'll still hit 80 with my 225lbs on it.
Rumor is its pretty much tighten chain, clean air filter and change oil type of machine.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Aprillia makes a bad little SM 550, it has the weight of a SM and the power of an SV650.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You will LOVE it. 2 of my friends have DRZ400SMs and they are really fun.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I thought about doing a WR450 and motarding it out but I dont want tthe increased maintence, getting 60hp would be nice but for what I doing the DRZ should get it. All I want to do is wheelie and stoppie without worring about plastic bodywork, and occassinally hop a curb or some stairs. It'll still hit 80 with my 225lbs on it.
Rumor is its pretty much tighten chain, clean air filter and change oil type of machine.
Yeah maintenance is good for the drz. I almost traded the r1 for a 09 yz450f motarded out but that's one thing I don't want to worry about either, maintenance.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

Just do it, That bike has to be the best SM to start into the experience with.

Any SM racing available where you live? That learning experience would be better than the price of the bike, spent on track schools (track schools with your ZX-10) And, learning to toss and slide an SM will make riding the 10 so much safer on the public roads....That will (could) pay for the bike as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
anything i need to look out for when buying a DRZ? any year better than the next? common issues? i'll be buying used
The 05 to 09 DRZ sm is the same, short of graphics. The 08 did come with renthal fat bars which is nice. Drz has a built proof engine on it, very reliable. They are underpowered stock, but with just a little tweaking, you can run with any of the higher price motards. I just did a track day a few weeks ago and there was a few of the ktm's and Husky's, along with some sportbikes in my class. I had no trouble keeping up, or passing them. The DRZ is the best Motard you can by for the street! IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
The DRZ is a great little city or track bike(fun). Under powered,, YES. Uncomfortable,,,YES , as are 90% of the SM's(rock hard tiny seats). Competitive,,, NO (not in stock form) There are some decent deals on the Husky 510SMR, which happens to be street legal in most states. I havent had any problems with mine,,,, yet :)

They were selling NEW 2008 510 SMR's in Vancouver this fall for just over $6800

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The DRZ is a great little city or track bike(fun). Under powered,, YES. Uncomfortable,,,YES , as are 90% of the SM's(rock hard tiny seats). Competitive,,, NO (not in stock form) There are some decent deals on the Husky 510SMR, which happens to be street legal in most states. I havent had any problems with mine,,,, yet :)

They were selling NEW 2008 510 SMR's in Vancouver this fall for just over $6800
Yeah, I'd be looking at 450smr's or 510smr's. I used to really like the ape's, but I've heard both the 4.5 and 5.5 are notorious for losing top-ends. The Husky's seem to be the most durable for the power output, but keep in mind the maintenance difference. There's a reason Kawi, Honda, Yama, and Zook won't offer a sweer 450 supermoto - they'll be constantly turning down warranty claims for lack of proper maintenance, and owners will be swearing off the entire brand even though they were in the wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2010 KTM 250SX converted to supermoto, and i love it. Light, powerful, well made, wheelies like a raped monkey, so nimble it feels like a heavy mountain bike with a sick 250cc two stroke engine.

But for something closer to what you're looking for, i'd buy a KTM 690SMC. Rode one on the local track and it's awesome, so refined, torquey, comfortable and much MUCH better than a DRZ. I'd save some more and go the SMC, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
do it....beware you have a different kind of fun on the motard and it can get you into trouble ahahaha

·
Registered
166 Posts
Most of the guys that don't like the DRZ, haven't spent much time on one that has been massaged. My underpowered over weight (305 wet) DRZ will keep up with your high dollar ktm and husky all day long! You can also get parts for the DRZ.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Most of the guys that don't like the DRZ, haven't spent much time on one that has been massaged. My underpowered over weight (305 wet) DRZ will keep up with your high dollar ktm and husky all day long! You can also get parts for the DRZ.
how did you drop 30 lbs? I'm sure it works well on a tight track, but on the street one would welcome the additional power and better suspension.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts