Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought an 04 zx10r from auction with no key and am having trouble removing the ignition column. I have a cbr 600rr which I removed the ignition column before and was easy - so I thought I'd be same situation here. Boy am I wrong!

Now, there's these two weird ass bolts at the bottom of the bike under the ignition column holding the bolts in and I have no idea how to remove these bolts? Can someone kindly lend a hand!?

I attached two pics for further clarification. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
One of those (the larger one) you'll have to get creative... it's a bolt that is intentionally designed to shear off the head upon final torque.... you'll have to drill it or chisel tap it out. This is -a lot- easier if you just remove the entire upper triple clamp and work it on the bench.

The other is a 'security torx' bit... those can usually be had as a set at the local Box hardware store, or ordered on line. They are the same size ranges and configurations as normal torx bits/keys/tips, just with that hollow center section.

G'luck!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I just took off the upper triple and used my drill press to drill them out, put it back together with regular bolts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for your replies! SpazaoneK, can you kindly be more specific on taking it out and working it on the bench? What do you mean by that and how would I go about doing that?

Is this the only way to get key code out for zx10r? I read online on few forums that it's possible to get key code from helmet lock in the back seat and without key in an zx6r - but seems fairings setup is obviously different in zx6r compared to a zx10r.

Let me know what you guys think of this video, and if this could also be true for a zx10r, or whether there's other easier ways to get a key code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PlUOQX6XCY&sns=em

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Just drill those bastards out, that's what I did. I might still have my ignition, gas cap and tail trunk lock with a key since my bike doesn't need any of it anymore. Going to throw it on Ebay or something lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it was mentioned to take the entire clamp out and drill out the bolts...how would i go about taking out the entire clamp? Is this the only way, or can i just drill them out while the ignition column is in place?

Anyone know of a video walk through or picture walk through? Not familiar with this process so I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,697 Posts
:welcome:

As mentioned, you need to remove the entire upper triple clamp. If the steering isn't locked by the ignition switch, then loosen the clamps on the forks, turn the bars all the way to the right, unplug the harness, and slide the triple clamp up and off them forks.

Then you can flip it over, drill the heads off, remove the ignition switch, remove the old lugs, and reinstall a new set.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Sky Dork,

Thanks alot for you're help. If i remove the triple clamp i might just bring that whole piece to locksmith and they can make the key. I was wondering if you can recommend a video walk through of someone doing this or picture walk through to help with this process as I have not done this before and dont want to mess anything up.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,697 Posts
Hi Sky Dork,

Thanks alot for you're help. If i remove the triple clamp i might just bring that whole piece to locksmith and they can make the key. I was wondering if you can recommend a video walk through of someone doing this or picture walk through to help with this process as I have not done this before and dont want to mess anything up.
Yeah, no. I don't have anything like that to refer you too. There isn't one that I'm aware of. It's pretty easy and straight forward. You remove the left/right alignment bolts that hold the clip-ons to the triple tree underneath. Then you loosen the left/right clamp bolts, remove the center nut on the top, unplug the ignition switch from the harness, and slide the triple-tree up and off. twenty minute job. But the triple-tree will get hung up if you don't turn the wheel to the right before doing it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, no. I don't have anything like that to refer you too. There isn't one that I'm aware of. It's pretty easy and straight forward. You remove the left/right alignment bolts that hold the clip-ons to the triple tree underneath. Then you loosen the left/right clamp bolts, remove the center nut on the top, unplug the ignition switch from the harness, and slide the triple-tree up and off. twenty minute job. But the triple-tree will get hung up if you don't turn the wheel to the right before doing it.
I was able to get one of the bolts alignment bolts off with an alan key on the right side - but left side i stripped it a little and that alan key does not fully hold it anymore. Any suggestions on how to take that bolt out? I also removed the ignition switch from wiring harness. As for the clamp bolts, I noticed the can either go left or right but cant fully come off? Do they fully come off or just loosen up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts