Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth boring out the motor?

I have a 04 and my HP mods are: Full exhaust, PC3, IM, TRE, Dyno tune, ceramic trans bearings, thin HG, and megacycle cams w/ spring and retainers. I have a lot of other stuff on the bike but that doesnt matter for this.

I have a larger CF airbox and before I install it I was going to get the head ported at carpenter racing. While they're doing that I was wondering if getting the motor bored out would be worth it and if I'm going that far should I just stroke it out too?

Which route would you go and for those that have done it any longevity concerns?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I know that it will run hotter, but if you were to bore, I would think 2mm is more reliable than 3mm?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is the incremental cost of doing the bottom end going to be more than $2K? If so, why not just add that A&A supercharger? You'll get far more HP per dollar. Even if the cost is less, you still are likely to get much better price/performance out of the S/C.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that it will run hotter, but if you were to bore, I would think 2mm is more reliable than 3mm?
Eh crap mine already runs a little hot. The smaller 2mm would have thicker cylinder walls so I assume your right

Is the incremental cost of doing the bottom end going to be more than $2K? If so, why not just add that A&A supercharger? You'll get far more HP per dollar. Even if the cost is less, you still are likely to get much better price/performance out of the S/C.
Using the prices on the website yes but I already have some of the things they list out so I dont know exact cost but I think its a little over 2K. I like the idea of a supercharger but just like the bike N/A. I could always add one down the road too.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I would go with the charger also, since I don't have to break anything down or take my motor apart..it looks to be basically bolt on, hardest part looks to be removing gas tank and putting on the air box.

I mean, if you want to blow up your bike, I'd rather do it with 230hp vs 190 for the same price you know?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at the supercharger kit and they say of you plan on running hard for extended periods of time they recommend a thicker head gasket and new pistons anyway :(

I have full ohlins suspension and plan on tracking it so I dont think the supercharger would be a good idea.

·
Registered
772 Posts
from what ive seen a 2mill doesnt do crap for a 10,i dont care what everybody say.ive rode em and my 10 with some head work blast built motors.the only way id do a overbore piston is if i did a 3x4 and then you the mafucker will fly...you can go real fast on a 10 with not alot of money if talk to the right people.if carpenter does your head and u still want a 2mill your best to take them the bike and just buy their package.ive never seen a piced together engine with diff shops parts actually work well together.buy a proven package from a good shop and you will be headed in the right direction

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
power

your best bet is a good head to go with ur cams. as stated, been proven time and time again to be just as fast as some overbores. my last bike was a zx12 overbore, cost over $1000, netted 6 hp, ran hot very easily, and generally sucked on the street. i would'nt do it again. stroker is very expensive, and short lived on the street. 3x4 is a fast strip bike, not streetable. most every respected builder will recommend a head and cam pkg. over a bore first. best bang, best package. be aware that tens have a tendency to puke oil out of the breather when bored.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys! In that case I'm just going to get some head work done. I'll ask them to port it according to the kawi race manual and I'll see what they think of my cams compared to the ones they would use and maybe just have them degree them to where they think they should be. That should be a nice combo with my new airbox. I'll probably wait til winter though and enjoy the rest of my riding season.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was looking at the supercharger kit and they say of you plan on running hard for extended periods of time they recommend a thicker head gasket and new pistons anyway :(

I have full ohlins suspension and plan on tracking it so I dont think the supercharger would be a good idea.

The only issue is the added heat of combustion -- going flat out continuously builds up a huge amount of heat in the chamber, and without water injection, it's anyone's guess how long the stock forged pistons will last. Drag racing and full throttle blasts on the road are fine as the heat is allowed to escape/dissipate once you get off the throttle, but serious track guys and top speed riders should look to pop on a thicker head gasket, get some forced induction specific pistons (with thicker ring lands), or add a water injection setup if you really want to be safe.

The whole kit only adds about 7-10lb, and the mass is centrally located, so racing with it wouldn't be a problem as long as you're comfortable with the power and integrity of your internals.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the kit is basically the highest hp/$ deal out there (well, next to nitrous, of course, but that fun runs out)...

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only issue is the added heat of combustion -- going flat out continuously builds up a huge amount of heat in the chamber, and without water injection, it's anyone's guess how long the stock forged pistons will last. Drag racing and full throttle blasts on the road are fine as the heat is allowed to escape/dissipate once you get off the throttle, but serious track guys and top speed riders should look to pop on a thicker head gasket, get some forced induction specific pistons (with thicker ring lands), or add a water injection setup if you really want to be safe.

The whole kit only adds about 7-10lb, and the mass is centrally located, so racing with it wouldn't be a problem as long as you're comfortable with the power and integrity of your internals.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the kit is basically the highest hp/$ deal out there (well, next to nitrous, of course, but that fun runs out)...
Since I dont plan on doing anything til winter I'll definitaly think about newpistons and ring lands so I can run the supercharger.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
a 2mil will give you more torque lower, not only some top end. A ported head is a must, and it seems you are at that point. If you are changing pistons i say go for it. If you don't deck your head (or not much) you will be safe, just use a normal cometic gasket if you want to be safe. The engine will be hotter and noisier, but it's not so bad, if your cooling works... You will also need stiffer clutch springs and maybe a billet basket.

It all depends on what you want to do. I saved my engine and built a new one to play.
And i disagree a stock motor will beat a 2mil, both will have a ported head anyways, if your tuner knows what he's doing it will be stronger. You will pay more i think if you pursuit the outmost of the engine.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I dont know. I'll talk to Ivan about it he hasnt led me astray yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts