Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sidi boots had been scratching the right side of my swingarm, to the point where it was down to the bare aluminum. I finally decided to fix it this week. Here's what I did...
:idea:
The damage is from the hard plastic around the ankle on my boot. I guess my foot position needs some work!

OK. Ordered these OEM "frame protector decals" from my local dealer/stealer. $10 a pop. These are the same parts that are on the upper frame, where your knees would rub the frame.

These are the tools I thought I might use. Only used the scissors and a normal ball point pen (and a screwdriver handle later on).

Took the decal out to the bike, found a shape that would cover the area where my boot might contact. Traced a basic pattern while holding it against the swingarm. The pen will wipe off with a little wax, so I wasn't worried about making mistakes.

Cut the basic shape out, then refined it to the finished piece with rounded corners. The scissors worked well. The decals are flexible, but semi-stiff, so it was pretty easy to cut.

Thoroughly cleaned the swingarm on the bike. I scrubbed for like 10 minutes, making sure all the road grime was off. If I had some alcohol, I would've wiped it down before applying the decal.

Applied the decal. Start in the middle and work it out to the edges. This minimizes any air bubbles. Also used a screwdriver handle to help adhere the decal. Piece of cake!

Can't even see it from 10ft away. Looks like a stock piece! This was a no-brainer, easy fix.
Anyways, just wanted to share... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
thats a very common problem on most bikes...thats a good way to cover that up though

Reactions: FAF

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Good idea - looks like a factory install using the Kawie pieces. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Most xcellent job :thumbsup: and a duplicate copied to the how to section.

BD

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Looks great. Nice fix.
I guess my boot must rub on my M/C cause it hasn't touched the swingarm.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Nice lookin fix, rep sent.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Yeah awesome idea...and you can almost do any shape you want. I have the same problem and bought some touch up paint from color-rite but this seems so much easier. I will do the touch up paint but now I know if it doesn't match or I butcher it up I can do this. Also it will last longer than the paint probably with my repeated boot rubbing.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
^^ heck if ya ride with flip flops no worries mate. :wink:

BD

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Very nice!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
looks great...but how does it hold-up? i would imagine that your boot will continue rubbing the same area and mark up the patch you applied...but still better then seeing the bare metal...i was having the same trouble on my 04 and would just use a small piece of black tape..:rolleyes: don't seem to have the problem with the 07 for some reason..

·
Registered
24 Posts
An alternative to using the frame protectors is to use a clear plastic film. I found some in Halfords (UK car accessory shop), appearing to be a stone/rubbing/etc. protection film. Basically, it was a hard wearing, flexible film with a sticky coating on one side.

I used some on the swingarm to protect that from the boots, and then made a clear, "invisible" tank protector with the rest. Worked a treat, and is invisble unless up close.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i use motorcross # plate background "ultra curve"material from factory effex. Flexible and very sticky. You ca get it in black, clear,carbon fiber and more....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Top notch. Rep sent

1 - 20 of 33 Posts