Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What type bolts to use for the swingarm spools and where do you get them. I need some M10x40 or 45 or 50 x1.25. Alum. or Ti or SS?????????? So what type and which length did you use?

Tread

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
SS won't rust and prob cheapest, ti is the lightest i bet.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Aluminum would be the lightest, but I wouldn't trust it to hold my bike up on a stand for long.

hmm, really, i'd have bet on TI, but then again what do i know, yeah, i wouldn't trust aluminum holding up my bike either, but then again, we are talking about 2 bolts, and if you can tell the difference between 2oz and 5oz in the rear, then you my man are the man!!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Hey tread. I was at home depot yesterday and found allll the bolts for our bikes. even the allen countersinks. I wouldnt have found them if i wouldnt have got curious. there was a huge drawered box right beside the nuts and bolts. so i opened it. ZX-10r drawer lol alll our shit was right there. so a trip to home depot might be in your best intrest

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
hmm, really, i'd have bet on TI, but then again what do i know, yeah, i wouldn't trust aluminum holding up my bike either, but then again, we are talking about 2 bolts, and if you can tell the difference between 2oz and 5oz in the rear, then you my man are the man!!
Most folks generally seem to think that Ti is lightest, but Aluminum is actually 40% lighter than Ti. Just not nearly as strong.

Found this on the Pro-Bolt website. Thought people might find it an interesting comparison:

ALUMINIUM TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

MATERIAL SPECIFICATIONS: 7075T73 high tensile aluminium.
MANUFACTURING PROCESS: Head - cold formed: shank - thread rolling.
ULTIMATE STRENGTH (PSI): Chemically brightened and colour anodised to between 8 and 12 microns thick.
YEILD STRENGTH (PSI): 490-560Mpa; stronger than mild steel.
WEIGHT: 60% lighter than steel; 40% lighter than titanium.
CORROSION: Anodised aluminium is not affected by saltwater, road film or mild acids.
APPLICATIONS: Aluminium is suitable for use in all non-safety critical areas e.g. mudguards, screens, fairings, engine casings, huggers, fuel caps, number plates, lamp units, exhaust cans, heel plates, clutch levers, exhaust manifold brackets, fuel cap surround, air filter plus many more.

SAFETY:

Do not use Aluminium in any safety critical areas.

TITANIUM TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

MATERIAL SPECIFICATIONS: Grade 5 high tensile Titanium.

MANUFACTURING PROCESS: Tapered Socket Cap - Forged Head with rolled threads. Flanged Hex Heads - Machined Heads with rolled threads. Other Items - Machined from bar

ULTIMATE STRENGTH (PSI):
120,000 - 160'000.
YEILD STRENGTH (PSI):
115'000 - 145'000
WEIGHT:
42% lighter than steel
CORROSION:
Very high resistance to corrosion.
APPLICATIONS:
Titanium is suitable for safety critical areas such as: Axle Bolts, Caliper Mount Bolts, Caliper Pinch Bolts etc.

SAFETY:

Titanium can be used in safety critical areas - with the nature of these parts it is essential to use the correct torque guide and fit with care. After fittings new bolts (or any new parts) to your motorcycle check all fixings are tight and all parts are secure. Take your motorcycle for a short rest ride - riding with car. Examine your motorcycle after the test ride to ensure all parts are secure. Should you have any queries or questions contact Pro-Bolt directly before riding your bike.

Pro-Bolt supply many race teams with both Aluminium and Titanium Products, with the correct and safe use Pro-Bolt will not only enhance the appearance of our motorcycle - but dramatically lighten your machine.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
maybe i was thinking it in terms of aircraft were TI is mainly used, lightest weight with stongest performance! but nice find on those specs. and next time i need a bolt, i am off to home depot, although i will say that they do not have the bolts to hold our rotors on, looked at every possible place, had to end up getting them directly from kawi, like $6 each or something crazy.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
At 6 bucks a bolt, the Ti rotor bolts from Pro-Bolt are not far away. All 14 for the 3 rotors runs about $100, depending on the currency exhange for GBPs. Rotating mass as well as unsprung weight. :wink:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
the bolts that hold the gas tank on up front... i dont know what there called but they have th counter sunken head. pain in the ass to locate thats what i found at hd.

·
Registered
928 Posts
yeah but if u took a piece of aluminum and a piece of ti of the same weight, the ti would be significantly stronger. thats why ti is so popular.

the metals density is significantly different also.

aluminum is a brittle metal such as magnesium and even tugsten, the hardest metal is brittle.

titanium and steel are not brittle metals.

aluminum also has a great deal of thermal expansion, as does magnesium. ti has very little, very close to stainless.

titanium is a very good metal for alot of things, its biggest weekness is its very elastic. which is temperature dependand, the metal doesnt expand like some due to heat but it becomes more elastic and streches more with higher temps.

this is why engines with ti rods have a larger piston the head clearance. cause as rpms' increase, the rods stretches ad the piston moves closer the the chamber.

not that anyone cared :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i guess i could have gone TI for the rotor bolts, but i honestly was ready to get back in the saddle and those came in asap. Eh, what an ounce or two, i am not that good of a rider to notice it. it'd be more bragging and bling for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts