Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the bolts on my Cat have worn away, I cant use an allen key on any of the bolts and my pliers cant turn the bolts either.
I Sprayed WD40 on the bolts and it did not budge.

pls any suggestions on a proven way to get the bolts off they are badly rusted into the pipe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All the bolts on my Cat have worn away, I cant use an allen key on any of the bolts and my pliers cant turn the bolts either.
I Sprayed WD40 on the bolts and it did not budge.

pls any suggestions on a proven way to get the bolts off they are badly rusted into the pipe.
A pic will help to see the actual conditions. Anyway one solution would be heat up the bolts and try with grips, but if they are completely rusted on the pipe and won't come off, you will have to cut the heads, separate the two pieces, and drill trough the remaining bolts and tap the holes again.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,973 Posts
No need to create a new thread if you've already posted this in the ongoing thread, to which I provided a response.

WD40 is not a lubricant. It won't do shit on the bolt. You need penetrating oil. But even that won't help much if the bolts are rusted to the pipe. Time to get out the drill and get them out the 'ole fashion way.

Heating the bolts won't do shit either. Don't even waste your time. Heating the bolts would expand them in the hole making the situation worse. And the surrounding pipe is way too much of a heat sink. You can't localize the heat around the bolt enough to make any bit of difference. Cut, drill, and tap. Or leave it alone.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,973 Posts
One of my go to tricks is to use a dremel to cut a slot into the bolt head, then use an impact screw driver to get them to break loose.\

Impact Screwdriver Set with Case
That would work normally, but because of the necked down area of the pipe where these bolts are, there's not enough room there to get a straight shot on the bolt head, let alone swing the hammer on it to crack it loose.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,067 Posts
That would work normally, but because of the necked down area of the pipe where these bolts are, there's not enough room there to get a straight shot on the bolt head, let alone swing the hammer on it to crack it loose.
That would eliminate my go to trick then as well.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Pb Blast those bolts, I did that when i removed my cat and it took a little wrenching but they came off. Sometimes a star bit will still be able to get out stripped allen bolts depending on how bad it's stripped.
If you get some pb blaster (highly recommended) spray that shit on the bolts, and tap the bolts to help break them loose, let it sit for at least a couple minutes before going back and trying to loosen them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will take pics as soon as, but it looked bad! It looked like the bolts have rusted down into the pipe and lost all shape, the washers were not recognisable, I couldn’t fit an Allen key into a couple of the bolts heads. I initially thought the washers were part of the pipe as they were rusted and deformed.

I'm in the Britain, things like 'pb blaster' ,'Koril' don't exist. Below is what I can get hold of.

Lubricating & Penetrating Oil | Lubricating Oil | Car Lube | Find the Right Oil

-Which lube-oil would you recommend from the link above?
-How would I approach the drilling without damaging the pipe assuming I have metal drill bits?
-Is freezing em out with areosil possible?
-Should I just call it a day, and live with the cat?:crackup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I have some pics and also ran into more trouble, will start a new thread on the new stuff. These kwaks build quality is not great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts