Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i binned the old girl earlier in the ear on a diesel spill on a roundabout... the bottom hit the curb and it whacked the exhausts up into the sump, which was cracked beyond repair and the whole underframe plastics as well.. structurally i have got her back in one piece fully rebuilt and running...

The issue is now, when i take her on a steady ride she will suddenly bog down and give the impression that the engine is going to die and she drops down a few mph... but then suddenly there's a burst of power, and she pops back up a few good mph over where I was before - this is without me moving the throttle at all...

she can be difficult to start if sat a more than a week or so, and she's got a lithium battery now which is mildly frustrating

I've thought about injectors, and throttle body sensors, but I don't have a clue where to start... the only thing I didn't take off during the rebuild was the engine and the radiator, so I don't know if I've just patched over a serious issue but i know she never ran like that before

any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated - no FI warning lights :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok, britain... So you banged up the right side of your bike.

IMO sounds like a fuel issue. Fuel pump is a good place to start. I don't think the throttle body is the issue, because they are purely activated by cable (edit: right, secondary throttle bodies. Gen2 has those too, right? IMO throttle body is still unlikely if they worked before and did not get plausibly damaged by the fall.). I'd check throttle cables and throttle play if you haven't already.

If fueling is good, then maybe its a spark issue. You described it as "dying" engine, so maybe it lost spark? Since you already have a good battery, this would hint at a general electrical problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So this is the video of the crash... for anyone curious.

I've had her back out, and she's also being over the top fussy with the battery... not starting... eating through lithium batteries... completely dead when we get back after hours of riding...

She had a brand new stator and reg rec last summer. She has been throwing up a valve actuator error since mid-summer on and off... but that was before the crash... going to get a heat detection device to see what's still running if anything, when the battery is plugged in

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had her back out, and she's also being over the top fussy with the battery... not starting... eating through lithium batteries... completely dead when we get back after hours of riding...
Thats again a hint for a general electrical issue. If the rect is in working order and it has trouble keeping charge, then the easy and annoying explanation is a grounding issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts