Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a boat?
We are thinking of buying a boat a fish and ski/ inboard outboard to play on the lake with but wanted some advice from those who have boats.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Bust Off Another Thousand= BOAT.

I don't own one but have owned a ski and been around boats most of my life.

Maintain it well is all I really can say, salt is a bitch.
This stuff is awesome, I used it to flush the ski motor and wash the whole ski. It works.
Amazon.com: KWIK TEK SALT TERMINATOR W/MIXER SX-32M: Automotive

It's better to have a friend with a boat than to own the boat. Unless money isn't an issue at all.

If you can keep it on a trailer at home, you can fill up at gas stations and not pay on the water gas prices, and you can clean it at home and take your time.

Then you get to fill it with water on the trailer when a hurricane comes if you have no where safe to put it.....

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
you do know what boat "stands for right?".when it comes to fixing,maintaining,storing a boat,.etc.........it stands for "Bout Oh, Another Thousand!!"..haha
I have a 16ft Bayliner Capri.fish n ski.......I restored it bout 6 years ago and never hve yet put it in the water.....but that is def gonna change cuz I am prob gonna be relocating to an area that has a lake about 15 min away.....where i live now.the closest lake is like 45min to an hour way.and over a huge mountain that i was always worried that my old truck would be straining to get over!.....but anyway.....I have always enjoyed having a boat as I was young.(my Dad's) and that is why i bought this one and fixed it up so nice!..It has all the bells and whistles! stereo CD player,fish finder, trolling motor,etc......I can hardly wait to get her in the water too......I love the water and really love to Bass fish...so....If ya have the means and a place to store it..I say go for it!...it is always a great Family activity!!......beware though....DUI on the water,.brings the same penalties....so when I go out on the boat,.....I am gonna bring a few chics to drive the boat while I drink beer and fish.......hahahahaha!!

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
haha......ZX10Miami beat me to it!!!..hahah

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Russ that sounds about what we are looking at the same style, I know the stuff is pricey I just wonder if its worth it. I wish my friends had a boat but they all have jet skis

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
well salt water isnt really an issue in Dallas, lol but thanks for the info!
Wasn't sure if you may use it in the Gulf but no salt makes things easier for sure.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a 22' Regal I/O 5.0L Merc. some of my friends have jet skis and I had gotten rid of mine BEST decision I have ever made. Even the friends with jetskis are on my boat most of the time.

-If you have any questions or concerns PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn thats a sweet ass boat.
I have a guy wanting to trade my 05 zx10 for his 97 sea ray 20 ft boat, I might give it some thought

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
damn thats a sweet ass boat.
I have a guy wanting to trade my 05 zx10 for his 97 sea ray 20 ft boat, I might give it some thought
Sounds pretty fair.

Make sure to have someone look at the boat for you. If it wasn't in the ocean that probably means less spyder cracks in the gel coat (really an appearance thing) not to mention less chance of hidden damage to a stringer or something. I've known people who had their boats overhauled yearly before going to the Bahamas, then use them the rest of the year and repeat.

One thing you can do yourself is to walk around the boat and pat the sides like a tom tom drum to look for any delamination. It should be pretty solid and not start any "waves" when you "knock on the boat."

A light pounding with the bottom of your fist is okay too.

I've seen some crazy stuff when waxing boats back in the day.

Check for excessive cracking around the transom where the motor mounts. Again, hair line "spyder" cracks are pretty normal there from forces when turning the boat, you just don't want scary looking cracks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts