Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at what general RPM range do you ride on the street/twisties/track.

The link below takes you to a video of an apparent test or demo on the track of the new BMW 1000rr..

After watching it i saw that the rider, who appeared to be good and fast, had the bike in the 7 to 1000 rpm range most of the time and very seldom ever at redline..

This is how I ride on the street and always felt that I was more the exception rather than the rule, as I am always reading posts of guys saying they are at redline all the time going through the gears...

I always thought this was virtually impossible for the street...as for example at redline in 1st gear on my second gen i would be going over a hundred... (except for a few very exceptional situations or places)

so I thought it would be informative to hear what rpm ranges some of you other riders usually ride within...

http://www.motociclismo.it/edisport...BMW-S-1000-RR--tutta-nuova-e-gia-competitiva-

·
Registered
608 Posts
On the street I am probably in the 1k-7k range with the ocassional trip to 10k+rpm on a stretch of road that I know.

At the track, I generaly come out of corners anywhere from 7-9k (as the track allows) and obviously bash through the gears somewhere just under redline (as the track allows):helmet::badteeth:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here in Abilene Texas the corners vary but there are plenty of long sweepers and I enter corners around 86 to 95 mph then exit around 120 to 130 in 4th or 5th gear im anywhere between 5 to 8rpms but these streets are back country roads

·
Registered
492 Posts
I hate to say it but. That thing is a beast. 277 kmph & it look like it was still pulling steady.
As for riding near redline. That would all depend on the bike & where it really makes it power. Strictly talking on the track.

·
Guilty by association
8,752 Posts
I was reading that for the WSBK BMW they had to pull back on the RPM to get more even torque distribution and the riders were having to manage the power using the rear brake more than they were used to.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I am pretty calm in town the HWY is where I will see the shift light 12KRPM...

Impressive how the BMW revs on the topend... Guess that thing is gonna be fast. Looking forward to my first run with one of those things on the HWY.

Damb I gotta get on the track!!!! That looks like a blast!!!!!

Would be nice to ride and just have fun and not look for cops and gravel!

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
My street ridden ZX10R spends most of its life below 7000 rpm with only occasional very short bursts above that. On the street, there are too many license-busting consequences of going fast enough to use much more than that. (100 km/h in first gear is about 8000 rpm and that's the highest speed limit on any public road in this area)

My FZR400 race bike lives between 10,000 and 14,000 redline.

My little CBR125 around-town run-around bike goes to redline every time I ride it. With only 12 horsepower on tap, you can actually use everything it's got on the street ...

·
Registered
511 Posts
From guys I know that have ridden Portimao, it is very technical, and I suppose depending on the series of turns in a sequence and the cambers and radius etc of them, will dictate to a point where the revs are.

Personally I think you're proving the theory of evolution and natural selection as fact by trying to ride at redline on the road.

On the track it is a bag of fun :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What's up with those pit lane blinking rear lights.

On Topic: I'm too busy watching the road to check my rpm out of corners. I try to keep the rpm as low as possible, and still have good thurst. I keep low rpm so I don't piss off everybody that lives on my favorite twisty roads. I can't imagine I get above 5k to 6k on the road, and that's max rpm is for a very short time. I'll let it rip on Highway on and off ramps, but I try to have respect on the back roads. I generally do not to go over 40mph on the back roads. I just keep my speed in the corners. It must look funny sometimes. I rail through a tight corner at 30 to 40mph and people probably like whoa. Then when I get the bike up right they are like damn he isn't going that fast. Neat trick that lets me have fun, and stay out of trouble.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I keep the R's where they feel good for engine braking... I shift as necessary so I can control lane position with my right hand appropriately.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i like to keep mine at about 6-9000 rpm when just riding normal but are normal is any were from 80mph to 150 mph when roads and no cops allow i ride with zx 12 and they think that they are soooo fast until i blow by them

·
Registered
464 Posts
On Topic: I'm too busy watching the road to check my rpm out of corners. I try to keep the rpm as low as possible, and still have good thurst. I keep low rpm so I don't piss off everybody that lives on my favorite twisty roads. I can't imagine I get above 5k to 6k on the road, and that's max rpm is for a very short time. I'll let it rip on Highway on and off ramps, but I try to have respect on the back roads. I generally do not to go over 40mph on the back roads. I just keep my speed in the corners. It must look funny sometimes. I rail through a tight corner at 30 to 40mph and people probably like whoa. Then when I get the bike up right they are like damn he isn't going that fast. Neat trick that lets me have fun, and stay out of trouble.
Same here. I have learned my lesson from speeding now I just take it easy.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i havent even taken the 10 on regular twisty roads, not interested in highsiding myself into a cliff wall. track all the way.

i commute up to 5krpm but in the few twisty non track corners ive been in ill touch 9k maybe and anything above is irrelevant for me on the street, damn rear tire is already trying to meet the front

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.