Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which filter do you run and which should i get, ive always ran K&N even in my last zx10 im just curious if its worth paying double for the BMC? thanks:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
im running a bmc, however it was in when i bought the bike.... so i have nothing to compare it to. I have no complaints.. also running full muzzy and pc3

edit: test have shown that even though you get a little more power from aftermarket filter... they do filter less so there is a chance for some engine damage.. i've never had a problem on anything, bikes or cars.. and i just about always use "high-flow" filters :2cents:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I currently run the K&N...I look at it as a OEM replacement that I can reuse. I might pick up a BMC too to see what all the fuss is about.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I run a BMC street and have had K&N for years. Much better build quality and seems like a stronger frame for the filter. The BMC is very well built and actually looks like it'll last forever. Every K&N I've ever had has been a flimsy/wobbly rubber-like frame material and the build quality always looks like sh*t (extra rubber, not clean frame, etc).

I will only buy BMC's for my bikes from here on out if I can.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Are we really talking about build quality on filters? I can't see the rigidity of the filter as a reason to buy or not buy it. How does it filter? OEM is best...then K&N, then BMC right?

·
Registered
772 Posts
what are you using it says filter on the list of parts for your bike?
if you look closer, it is something that i am looking to buy. i have run bmc's on other bikes and want one for this bike. i am broke and confident in the quality of a used bmc, and would like to save some money.

Are we really talking about build quality on filters? I can't see the rigidity of the filter as a reason to buy or not buy it. How does it filter? OEM is best...then K&N, then BMC right?
thats what i have always been told. no scientific proof, but looking at all three in person, it would seem correct also.

Reactions: Sebastian1000

·
Registered
474 Posts
I usually don't mess with a post that have been repeated as much as this subject.But your getting some total BS answers.Dust is not a major concern to a street bike air filters,dirt bikes on the other hand.....YES....The K&N or the BMC is a better filter than the OEM for 2 reasons:
1 They move more air.
2 They can be cleaned and because of that have a much longer life than OEM.
I have ran both the K&N and the BMC they are a must with a full exhaust system or anybody wanting more horsepower.So you purchase 1 or 2 filters to last the life of the bike.You do the math, there actually cheap in the long run.
Do a search,there's lots of threads on this subject.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually don't mess with a post that have been repeated as much as this subject.But your getting some total BS answers.Dust is not a major concern to a street bike air filters,dirt bikes on the other hand.....YES....The K&N or the BMC is a better filter than the OEM for 2 reasons:
1 They move more air.
2 They can be cleaned and because of that have a much longer life than OEM.
I have ran both the K&N and the BMC they are a must with a full exhaust system or anybody wanting more horsepower.So you purchase 1 or 2 filters to last the life of the bike.You do the math, there actually cheap in the long run.
Do a search,there's lots of threads on this subject.
thanks for the input, sorry if this is a repost im still pretty new here and i dont have this site down 100%, i am agreeing with you i ran my k&n on my last one and liked it, this zx10 i just bought has the stock filter that is dirty as hell and i have a full akra pipe on it im just wondering if i should get another k&n for $40 or spend $80 on the BMC is it worth paying double for the BMC?:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
474 Posts
I didn't see want year you have.But with the 04-05 there was talk that the BMC had a better fit on the first gen.
I think I would go with the cheaper of the 2 leaving more money to spend else where.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Being that all our bikes (unless totaly modified) untilize a Ram Air type of system, I would imagine that the regidity of a filter frame, or how resistant the frame is to lett air past the filter (without going through the filter media) I would think is a pretty big deal. I was given a K&N a few years back by one of their sales Reps. and i still haven't put it in my bike. The OEM is just about an absolute seal all the way around the air box, probably nothing can sneak around it without going through the filter. I can't speak for BMC or Pipercross, but i really wouldn't recomend a K&N for this application...there is my .02 :hick:

·
Registered
92 Posts
letting more air in means letting more dust in :heyyou: Especially if your riding on the streets with your bike, the track however might be less dust your coice, your motor i prefer OEM

·
Registered
454 Posts
letting more air in means letting more dust in :heyyou: Especially if your riding on the streets with your bike, the track however might be less dust your coice, your motor i prefer OEM
show me proof of a significant difference in dust /damage from dust from upgrading filters...

·
Registered
724 Posts
You're kidding right....more dust in.... The OEM filter chokes the intake down and doesn't let the engine breath. An aftermarket filter with gauze like K&N and BMC let the engine breath more and increases performance and can also improve mileage as well. I'm getting 41mpg on long trips which is better than when it was stock. To each his own...keep your OEM and shell out however it costs every 7500 miles and I'll keep my BMC that I can clean and reoil with my increased performance and mileage. No worries man...

P.S. If they let more dust in explain why the inside of my airbox is clean...like a babies ass clean after the filter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts