Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there dyno tested different airfilters back to back? Which is best? :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
You would think for as much as BMC charges theirs would be the best lol...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Do you really ride hard enough for a hp or two difference between the stocker and an aftermarket filter to make a difference? Just askin'... I don't. I just don't get the hp chasing game I guess... :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Edited for stupidity by myself lol :hello:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I mapped my 10 on a DJ250 with a tuning link with the stock air filter. When it was done we put in the BMC street air filter and ran it again. The air fuel ratio was nearly identical to stock. I would recomend the BMC only because you can clean it and reuse it. I'm not sure but I think you can buy 2 stock air cleaners for the price of 1 BMC.
I also had back to back runs with my 99 ZX9R (full Muzzy pipe and jet kit,+4 advancer).
When I bought all the parts from Muzzys they said dont bother with the K&N air filter.
But I figure what do they know right? A $75.00 K&N air filter later I ran the 9 on a DJ150 . 138 HP stock 139HP K&N . I guess those boys at Muzzys do know there stuff.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Same here, I thought I remembered Ivan (if I have this right) making the comment that the stock paper filters were fine for most, if not all, applications.

I gotta be honest, and I have been using K&N's since 1989... and have them in all of my cars, I don't really like cleaning them. :headshake

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I have kn and the main reson is that you can reuse it. i read that paper (factory) makes more hp then the rest. Now there one that do make more then the rest, but they don't sell it here. A guy name birdman has more facts about this filter. If you get any hp. then that just extra gravey. there nothing wrong with a few more hp.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
El Diablo said:
Do you really ride hard enough for a hp or two difference between the stocker and an aftermarket filter to make a difference? Just askin'... I don't. I just don't get the hp chasing game I guess... :dontknow:
Well, if i'm in the market for a replacement anyways so why not get the better one?

I dyno tested a k&n back to back with my stock paper filter in my old 944 turbo and the paper made more! Just wondering if it was the same here?

For those with power commanders, did the replacement filter mess up your map?

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
When I had my '95 ZX-6R (traded for the 10) I put a K&N air filter in and had the carbs rejetted, and still had the stock exhaust on. It went from 85 hp to 90... Or 80 hp to 85... I am not really sure, but I gained 5 hp from it. Measured on a Dynojet 150. I don't know if the filter made any difference or if it was all jetting....

I am fairly sure that for Supersport and Superstock racing, they have to use the stock air filter, so stock has to be pretty good.

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
rocketracermike,
The filters that Birdman is talking about are the DNA filters. They're available in Australia and I think I've seen them advertised in the UK but not the US for some reason. Birdman said he's dyno'd the DNA's and they did increase the hp, but I don't know by how much.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
it would be nice to see them sell there filters here. auk shop will does sell them and will ship them here, but the price of everything is way to much for me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yep the DNA filters I've tried on a few bikes. On the CBR1000RR it gave 2-3 h.p all the way through the rpm. The 600RR about 1.5, mainly up top. Haven't done a ZX10 with one yet, but from the other filters I've done on the same two bikes (CBR's) the DNA made h.p the others didn't. Someone should look into bringing them in to the States.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts