Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy/girls...
I want to buy a BMC filter but was woundering if I should go for the street or the racing.... got the bike in April of this year and have over 11k on it so I ride a lot. Don't have a car so I do ride in rain... I know the racing has 25% more flow than the street which has a lot more than the stock... I want the racing but I also don't want to take in a lot of crap or rain... is this an issue with the racing or will I be safe with it? And what is the difference beside the fact the racing has more air flow?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I went with the street. I live in a dusty area so I wanted piece of mind.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
i dont really know, but im sticking with stock also, because i like the piece of mind also .....however, im not sure if BMC is like K&N, but one other advantage is you never have to replace it.....just clean it up and oil it

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Keep the stock filter. I'd rather have to replace my filter than worrying about all the crap these things let in. Besides the fact that they don't make any more hp than the stock one.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
slav said:
Hey guy/girls...
I want to buy a BMC filter but was woundering if I should go for the street or the racing.... got the bike in April of this year and have over 11k on it so I ride a lot. Don't have a car so I do ride in rain... I know the racing has 25% more flow than the street which has a lot more than the stock... I want the racing but I also don't want to take in a lot of crap or rain... is this an issue with the racing or will I be safe with it? And what is the difference beside the fact the racing has more air flow?
My local tuner told me not to use the aftermarket filters because of all the crap they let through from his experience on these kind of bikes. I know there is not suppose to be a HP increase but my dyno but said at the time that the combo of the BMC filter helped along with my slip-on. :dontknow: don'tcare, I likey.

Now with that said I also don't ride as many miles as you do and would think twice about putting any aftermarket filter on, unless you are constantly maintaining(cleaning and oiling) the filter. So, from what you said already if you do go aftermarket then at least stay with the Street version IMO. Good luck with your decision :wink:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
i have a kn filter. i had problems with it. since your bike is your only transportion. go with street

·
Registered
370 Posts
According to Kerry at Area P, the 10R gains NO power from replacing the filter with a BMC street. The race is unacceptable for the street. It lets through altogether too much debris for an engine that is expected to last its lifetime without being opened up. The 12R gained like 2hp from changing the filter, so it suprised the hell out him that the 10R didn't gain a thing......

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Running the Race for 7k no problems . Ca'nt say for sure if I gained anything hp wise 'cause i did several other mods at the same time.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rocketracermike said:
i have a kn filter. i had problems with it. since your bike is your only transportion. go with street
What kind of problems? :rolleyes: And as for gaining hp I think it's a combination of things... Don't expect to get hp from just changing the air. Has anyone on here that has a power commander with a slip-on/full exhaust notice or seen number change in hp with an aftermarket filter?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I had a s/o, pcIII w/ custom map, velocity stacks, bmc street and made 155 rwhp and 77.59 lb/ft torque. Average, I would say.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
slav said:
What kind of problems? :rolleyes: And as for gaining hp I think it's a combination of things... Don't expect to get hp from just changing the air. Has anyone on here that has a power commander with a slip-on/full exhaust notice or seen number change in hp with an aftermarket filter?

I'm sorry. I don't have a problem with my kn. It's a good filter and i can reuse it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
"I had a s/o, pcIII w/ custom map, velocity stacks, bmc street and made 155 rwhp and 77.59 lb/ft torque. Average, I would say."

The hp reading on it's own means Jack shit. Did you do a run or two before the mods to see what was gained? That is what's important. That number you posted could be freakin amazing for all we know. It's just A reading from A dyno.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I get the BMC street and it is a very quality piece. I seiously doubt the street version lets in anymore debris than the stock paper one. Also what do you people think goes into the intakes of these bikes. Maybe a couple of bugs that get ginsued from the intake grills and then the remaining particles if any maybe a couple of minute small ones makes it thru the BMC/K&N and into the intake system to be vaporized during the combustion process.

Unless someone is chunking bb's or some other out of the ordinary metal objects into your bike while it is running, I seriously doubt you will even ingest something potent enough to ever do any damage.

I kad a K&N on my 03 636 for 24,000 miles and never found any remanats in the TB side of the airbox that anything ever made it past the filter. Nothing stuck on the oil mist from the breather hose, nothing.

Dont buy the BMC/K&N for the performance, buy it for the fact you can clean it and not spend $30 or so on the paper stock one.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The prob with that, well over her at least, is the stock filter is about $45-55AUS. A K&N or BMC is around $165-180. So you're looking at about a filter change every what? 18-24000 km? so you'd need to do on the conservative side, 54000km before you got your money back. Waste if you ask me, but anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
treyzx10r said:
Running the Race for 7k no problems . Ca'nt say for sure if I gained anything hp wise 'cause i did several other mods at the same time.
:+1:
Zero problems running race BMC on the street. It made my M4 Can a little throatier when opened up, I think. I got my BMC race brand new for 45.00 shipped, looks like I got a deal and a half.
:+1:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had the BMC Race in my ZX-12R and now in my ZX-10R. No issues. You can clean it and re-oil it just like the K&N filter.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Birdman said:
"I had a s/o, pcIII w/ custom map, velocity stacks, bmc street and made 155 rwhp and 77.59 lb/ft torque. Average, I would say."

The hp reading on it's own means Jack shit. Did you do a run or two before the mods to see what was gained? That is what's important. That number you posted could be freakin amazing for all we know. It's just A reading from A dyno.
I didn't get a reading before the mods were done. I don't use the dyno to say that I have this much hp. Its a tuning instrument.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Have a K&N as well. The fit was very nice and snug and seals much better than the stock one. Also, after riding through an extremely dusty and gravelled road I was pleased to see that the air box on the throttle body side was squeaky clean.

There is no doubt in my mind that the K&N flows more air than the stock paper filter too. Just blowing or putting a vacuum up to the filter and you can feel a lot more air rushing through. I just don't think the air filter is the bottleneck in the air intake system. I can't remember who posted on this subject before, but a dyno was run back to back with the stock, K&N, and and open air box. All reading were within a few hp of each other. You might see an hp gain with the high flow filter with some other breathing mods such as headwork, or cams.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Guys...at 8,000 miles...my stock filter was LOADED with junk...clogged...put in a BMC street filter and check it every oil change....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts