Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so its time to get a new air filter. Being that i just installed a complete akrapovic and pc3 with the akrapovic evolution full exhaust map im going to run a performance filter but unsure which to go with. So please anybody with experience and knowledge of the two please chime in

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've seen race teams use both... I've got a K&N and am happy with it (that plus Bazzaz alone made a difference), and my dad just put in a BMC race, and has used one in a Gixxer 750 as well. I got the K&N b/c it was ~$20 cheaper!

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Stock one will work just as well, filter better, and last longer ...

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
My experience with both the stock and K&N filters is that the stock filter has to be replaced at 24,000 km and was still "decent" at that time, but the K&N plugged up in much less time than that. So, do you want to clean it every 8,000 km and let more dirt into the engine in the meantime, or replace it every 24,000 km and not concern yourself with it in the meantime?

Take a look at a K&N filter and a stock filter side by side, and compare the number of pleats. The stock filter has much more surface area, that's why it doesn't plug up as fast.

With both filters clean, I noticed no difference in how the bike ran.

YMMV of course. The ram air on my bike in this area scoops up all sorts of bugs, mosquitoes, leaves, etc., and the roads are generally dusty for a lot of the year due to winter sanding and salting.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
i really really like the bmc better than the k&n filters for some reason

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
BMC... If your worried about dirt than get the street version. K&N frames flexes which imo changes the airflow.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I prefer the BMC race filter.

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have both in different vehicles. I do prefer the BMC for the ZX as the filter area appears less restricted than the K&N. My other bike and truck use K&N cone filters that don't seem to have this issue. I prefer using a cleanable filter, lets you get in there and poke around more often to notice any issues. Plus over the long haul you do save some $$.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
There's a thread if I remember by olderguy's, he had problem with K&N drying up and cracking luckly none of it went through the engine.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
BMC race..

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
My late vote is for BMC street version or stock. K&N is okay, but is more maintenance than they're worth IMO. I'm running one now, and will soon be going back to a stock filter.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
... 99 of which were because of the sticker.

I'd love to see a back-to-back dyno test to see if there is anything in it.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I'd love to see a back-to-back dyno test to see if there is anything in it.
Been done. Ivan posted years ago. No measurable gain from an aftermarket filter but need more fuel to make equal HP on the 10. Only "good" reason for going non-oem is if you'd rather clean your filter than purchase a new one IMO. Had a Race BMC on my 04, but the 07 get's OEM. Did really like the intake growl the BMC combined with the V-stacks made on the 04 though. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts