Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions concerning some mods.

I bought my bike used from a dealer with about 5500 miles or so on it. I'm wondering how/if I can tell if the previous owner had done the 1/5 throttle mod on the bike? It doesn't feel like it was done but I'm not really sure what I would be looking for? Is there any way to tell without taking it apart?

Also I am considering getting a BMC filter...they have the race & street versions. I'm guessing the race lets more air through but wondering what the benefit is of having one over the other and which one would be best for street riding.

I have a Leo Fince Factory slip on I put on and they say they design their exhausts not to need to be remapped but I plan on getting a full system either late this year or early next year...probably an Akra. I figure when I change the air filter I will get the power commander and try to smooth out the power band and adjust it accordingly since the air filter will be new. My questions is that if I don't use a good map or don't adjust it right can I negatively impact the bike and lose power throughout the rev range? Is it possible to lose such a miniscule amount and not even notice the bike has less power? I would like to set it up and add just a little more power or something but I would hate to actually mess up and be losing power and can't even tell.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
hmm i dont have the 1/5 throttle but im sure u would beable to tell. about the air filter its probably better if u get the street version. cause the race version will let too many elements in your engine especially if you are doing alot of street riding. i had the race before now im using the street i really cant tell the difference. as far as the map goes u dont really have to have one w/ a slip on even w/ a map if its not dyno tune u still may not feel a difference. the power commander main job is to smooth the bike out. take away n e dips u may have in the rpm range.

·
Registered
656 Posts
BMC Filter

If your just doing street riding, go with the STREET BMC filter. The race filter is going to let too much dust and other smaller contaminates through. I got the street version and love it. It's well made, better than K & N, which I thought was a good filter before I bought a BMC. My :2cents:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's what I figured about the air filter...just wasn't sure if there was a benefit from using the race on the street...will definitely stick with the street then...especially with my gravel road.

I think w/ the slip on and a BMC Street filter I'd be better off going with the power commander though...I will get a full system eventually so it's not like it's a waste of money. I'm just worried I may not get a good map or set it up wrong and actually lose performance. Is that possible?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Find a standard 10R open the throttle all the way, then jump back on your bike and do the same, if it turns less that means you have 1/5 mod.

As for the filter, I ride on the street but I bought the race version because I am planning on riding less next season and those rides will be on nice clean roads. Having said that nothing beats oem filter and it's price when it comes to street. Keep the oem or get the race version.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
with the 1/5 throttle all you gotta do is open up your throttle housing and you should see a shim in there. i went for the race filter. just be sure to give it a good look over every 1000 miles or so.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Mark the throttle and open it up full, if it turns 72 degrees then you have one.if it turns 90 degrees you dont.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome...I figured there would be a way to tell...just wasn't sure how far it usually opens.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the OEM vs. the BMC Street there isn't much of a difference at all then?

·
Registered
353 Posts
the only reason i went w/ an after market filter this time was because im able to clean it and reuse it. after buying 2 or so stock filter its just cheaper to have a re-usable one. thats my .02

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
the only reason i went w/ an after market filter this time was because im able to clean it and reuse it. after buying 2 or so stock filter its just cheaper to have a re-usable one. thats my .02
I don't know what the price ratios is over in the U.S but you can buy probably 4 to 6 oem filters for the price of an aftermarket filter. You shouldn't be riding a 10r if you are trying to save few bucks over many miles you'll have to ride to compensate for the cost of X amount of oem filters. The cost issue is just an excuse for some to give their wives :mrgreen: I will still change my aftermarket every 2-3 services or so depending on the condition, even when you wash it, it's still not like brand new.

·
Registered
353 Posts
PHP:
I don't know what the price ratios is over in the U.S but you can buy probably 4 to 6 oem filters for the price of an aftermarket filter. You shouldn't be riding a 10r if you are trying to save few bucks over many miles you'll have to ride to compensate for the cost of X amount of oem filters. The cost issue is just an excuse for some to give their wives  I will still change my aftermarket every 2-3 services or so depending on the condition, even when you wash it, it's still not like brand new.
well here for the stock air filter its over $30. i paid $90 for the BMC. i dont know how much u ride but i put over a 1000 miles a month. i clean my filter every 3000 miles. i do my oil change every 1500 miles. i dont have a car so my bike is my every day transportation.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
General consensus is there is no difference between a stock air filter and aftermarket.
I am now in possesion of a NEW stock, K&N and BMC (Race) filters, because I want to know. The only advantage may be at high speed and one can flow more. I have the Wideband commnader installed and plan to do some high speed runs with all 3 filters (bike currently mapped with stock filter) and see if or how much the fuel air mixture changes. If it leans out any, then one filter may actually flow more air. Hard to guess at this stuff. Will have to validate.

JJ

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah let me know how that turns out.

So if I go with any maps done by power commander say like the one for the akra slip on with air filter it really shouldn't hurt my bike even if I have the Leo Vince slip on?

I'm worried when I adjust it I might not really be able to tell and the bike might actualy run worse. Not sure where to take it to get it custom done.

Is it something easy to adjust if I try it myself first?

·
Registered
353 Posts
u hook it up to your lap top and then start playing w/ the fuel at the given throttle percentage. the best way to do it is on a dyno. me personally think that is the only way to do it. cause right there u can see if what u adjust actually help or not. plus u can see the air/fuel ratio. If u do it at home and not able to see the air/fuel ratio there is a chance u can go too lean and mess up the motor. lean makes power but there is a fine line. i say unless u plan on doing a dyno tune then dont get a power commander. do it right or not at all.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
OEM throttle throw is just about 90'... the 1/5th mod will reduce that to 72'

sit your bike, grip normally, not twist it all the way open to the stop. If your elbow is pointing at the ground, if your wrist is cranked back until the blood stops flowing... you have an OEM throttle.

if on the other hand, the throttle reaches WOT in one smooth easy twist, if you are still in the proper position, elbow tucked in, wrist comfortable... you have the amazing 1/5th throttle insert installed:cool:

You can open the housing and see if a small cressent piece of plastic has been added to your grip in the area where the cables ride...

oh and if you have the awful, tiresom, long, slow.....OEM throttle, let me know, I'll get you hooked up with an insert and you can get the throttle your bike should have come from the factory with.

I have a few questions concerning some mods.

I bought my bike used from a dealer with about 5500 miles or so on it. I'm wondering how/if I can tell if the previous owner had done the 1/5 throttle mod on the bike? It doesn't feel like it was done but I'm not really sure what I would be looking for? Is there any way to tell without taking it apart?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts