Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I lurk here since selling my gen2.. picked up a 09 heritage classic to putt around on. Im in the market for a new lid for myself and my wife. Anyone have any advise/opinions on Bluetooth? Either already installed or what systems your using in helmets? Im more looking for GPS and pass communication. idk if I see myself doing tunes...prefer motor&nature. Id also want a good helmet
Thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts
so I lurk here since selling my gen2.. picked up a 09 heritage classic to putt around on. Im in the market for a new lid for myself and my wife. Anyone have any advise/opinions on Bluetooth? Either already installed or what systems your using in helmets? Im more looking for GPS and pass communication. idk if I see myself doing tunes...prefer motor&nature. Id also want a good helmet
Thanks
Sena all the way. The units are a little pricey but worth every penny.. I went though 2 Amazon/eBay communicators before I bit the bullet on the Sena and I wish I would've never screwed around with the off-brand junk. My suggestion would be to get the 20S too (or whatever successor might be available now). I have the 10S right now, but I've tried the 20S and it is indeed a much better unit with much further range, slightly longer battery life, clearer audio, and it's less finicky. By less finicky I mean you won't sit there for 5 minutes like I do with the 10S trying to connect to another Sena 2" away lol. They won't hum or buzz or drone either. You won't even know the units on until someone's actually speaking.

The only con to the Sena's is I don't think they work with half-helmets. So if you're thinking about going for that cruiser look with a half-helmets you're going to be pretty limited in bluetooth communicators as far as I know. In terms of helmets though you're going to have to figure out which one works specifically for you and specifically for your wife. Every brand is going to fit different regardless of what head shape they advertise for. Head to a local dealer, ignore prices, and find the one that fits you like a snug glove...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ive been a full face guy since hitting pavement. Usually only topline Arai, But have toyed with getting a modular helmet. still rocking an Arai but was new in 2008!! You wouldnt guess how many times I was asked if I was gonna go out and buy all new gear cause I got a harley!! I mean I still give a shit?

Have looked at Cardo. Do the add on systems go into any helmet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Picked up a Shoei RF1200 a couple years ago, my first nice lid and probably some of the best money I spent on bike stuff. A huge step over entry level lids that I was used to. Quiet, light and vents that actually do something.

Added a photo chromatic shield, also money very well spent, super convenient.

Then added the Sena 20S, works well I like I can play music and comms run over top of the tunes. Only downside, I think the speakers are pretty shit quality. Not a huge audiophile, but they suck. Looking at upgrading the speakers currently. Other than that a great feature to have when riding with someone.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i looked last night sena does seem to be out front. dont see much diff between the 20s and 30k for $50. they all seem to go on any helmet??? I dont know if there'd be room in my arai for a mic? so helmet choice time too

·
Registered
670 Posts
The Sena includes a discreet microphone, you don't need the big boom mic that's included in the box. That's more for a modular helmet user. The speakers on the Sena are definitely not top-tier. I haven't had a chance to test out other devices but it's definitely not loud enough in some scenarios for me. There's also rare occasions where the audio quality drops during Sena-to-Sena communication. I usually have to re-connect to that Sena to fix the audio glitches. Not sure if that's just a 10S issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sometimes use a modular helmet (shoei neotek) with the Sena headset that integrates with the helmet to make it as sleek as the schuberth. But the in-helmet speakers are inadequate, even on a quiet bike, due to wind noise in the helmet. The Schuberth is reportedly a quieter helmet though. I don't want to crank the speakers since my ears are already damaged. With earplugs, you cannot hear the speakers at all. So... I went the route of wireless bluetooth earbuds that go to a neck mounted battery/controller. I got an LG set which don't pull out when I put on the helmet. It does a pretty good job of keeping wind noise out and lets you hear without unnecessarily high volume. And of course, you can get any helmet you want, modular or otherwise. Not for everyone but something to consider and they're cheaper than any of the Sena sets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts