Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Blown Motor question

Gen 4: 2011-15 
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  scout 
#1 ·
Not sure if anyone can help but looking for some potential input. I'm not the most knowledgeable with motors or internals. Guy bought some oem parts off of me from my track build for a crashed 2015 zx10r he purchased with 4.6k miles. He asked if I could help him get it started. Once I saw it I told him it was not going to be worth rebuilding due to a hole in the frame. It was sold to him as running perfect just needed work, but of course that wasn't the case because he couldn't get any power to it. I found the main fuse blown and the power-commander actually had a damaged ground wire. Put in the new fuse and pulled the power-commander and it started up. He said he had just changed the oil too. Started it up and then turned it off after a few seconds while we talked about what we did. Before starting it back up I noticed the oil already turned creamy. I came to find out that the airbox had a crack in it and I'm guessing the bike spent time in the tow lot and collected a lot of water and dumped it into the motor through the throttle bodies. Well he went to flush the oil again and said it sounded fine for a few seconds but started sounding like a huge knock/banging internally. Instantly shut it off. My question is any guess what most likely gave and how much the motor would be worth in just parts? Offered to sell it off to me and gave me a price but I would have zero clue what to ask for the motor.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear that! Water into the motor? Mixed in with the oil? Yeah, a rod and/or crank bearing spun. Connecting rods are toast, crank is toast. Likely a valve or 2 is toast. Time to tear it down and inspect to see what happened to it, but likely the only thing salvageable is the head and case. As a complete motor in that condition, you'd be lucky to get $500 for it IMO. Not much is worth it in the motor if the valves are fooked also. The head won't be worth anything in that case. It's a fancy paperweight at the moment!

Reactions: leland
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.