Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fork seal just blew out and it leaking bad, how much does this usually cost? Is this a DIY fix?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
It's a DIY fix if you take your time and are mechanically inclined. If not, you're best bet is to take it in. The forks have to be completely disassembled and that usually requires a spring compressor to get the fork tubes apart. The easiest and cheapest route to go is pull the fork tubes off the bike and take them to the dealer. It will cost anywhere between $200-250 for both of them. And I definitely recommend doing both at the same time. If one is blown, the other isn't far behind likely. The seals and dust seals run about $30 in parts and are included in that cost I referenced.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whacky, what all did they replace on yours for that price? Just the seals on both forks?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I had mine done in a shop. Took them off and in for them to work on it. Paid around $210, parts and labor. And what SkyDork said. Do both. Its like headlights on a car. If one goes, the other is probably not far behind. Just better to do it now.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
mine are blown too, just found out a week ago.

Does it matter what seals and oil is used?
Def go with OEM or what's recommended?
Is that dust cover thingy necessary too?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
All Ballz Racing makes a seal and wiper kit that is pretty decent. $30 or so and you get both oil seals and both dust seals. OEM isn't bad either if you can't get the All Ballz kit.

Yes, replace the dust seals as well. They may have contributed to the failure if they are worn out and/or let some road debris by that cut the seal. Oil is your preference on the weight (heavier or lighter) and brand. Ohlins makes fork oil and it's not too expensive. I think a 5w oil is standard, but you could go 10w or even 15w depending on what you're looking to get out of it.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
All Ballz Racing makes a seal and wiper kit that is pretty decent. $30 or so and you get both oil seals and both dust seals. OEM isn't bad either if you can't get the All Ballz kit.

Yes, replace the dust seals as well. They may have contributed to the failure if they are worn out and/or let some road debris by that cut the seal. Oil is your preference on the weight (heavier or lighter) and brand. Ohlins makes fork oil and it's not too expensive. I think a 5w oil is standard, but you could go 10w or even 15w depending on what you're looking to get out of it.
Thanks!

But serioulsy, you need to go open up a bike shop.
Next to a Starbucks too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Daumn you got ripped off! Had springs for my weight, top out springs, spacers and seals and dust seals and general fork service (cleaning solution etc) for that much from traxxion oh and i took the bike there not just the forks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response guys, I called a shop about 30mins away that ive had some work done at, they are great, they qouted me 250 for full fork rebuild springs fluid seals and dust covers and thats if i bring the bike in, pretty good i thought, plus they warranty everything for 3 years against anything for any reason

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for the response guys, I called a shop about 30mins away that ive had some work done at, they are great, they qouted me 250 for full fork rebuild springs fluid seals and dust covers and thats if i bring the bike in, pretty good i thought, plus they warranty everything for 3 years against anything for any reason
Is it beneficial to do a full fork rebuild if the seals go out? I would hate to "rebuild my fridge because the light bulb went out." lol, but my bike is pushing 43K mi so it might need that.

I know it depends on the severity of the leak but how long do I have before riding becomes too dangerous? Is it one of those things where you just don't ride again until it's fixed (thank God it winter - although it was 70 here in Tuscaloosa yesterday) or do I still have some time with her before the surgery? I don't want to endanger my life for 1 more ride but she is my primary mode of transportation and I'm not sure I can afford the mx cost right now.

I think I'll check out this All Ballz Racing site to see what deals they have on everything.

Thanks for any help!!!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
Is it beneficial to do a full fork rebuild if the seals go out? I would hate to "rebuild my fridge because the light bulb went out." lol, but my bike is pushing 43K mi so it might need that.

I know it depends on the severity of the leak but how long do I have before riding becomes too dangerous? Is it one of those things where you just don't ride again until it's fixed (thank God it winter - although it was 70 here in Tuscaloosa yesterday) or do I still have some time with her before the surgery? I don't want to endanger my life for 1 more ride but she is my primary mode of transportation and I'm not sure I can afford the mx cost right now.

I think I'll check out this All Ballz Racing site to see what deals they have on everything.

Thanks for any help!!!!
Yes, you should stop riding it until it's fixed IMO. Any leaking fluid has the potential to contaminate both the front tire and well as the brake pads. Any size leak has the potential to cause way more damage in terms of a crash than it will to correct the problem.

A full rebuild with springs and everything usually isn't called for, but both forks should get new seals even if only 1 side is leaking. If 1 side is leaking, it usually means the other isn't too far behind. The springs are up to you. At 43k miles, they could probably stand to be replaced, but it's not a necessity.

Stick with the OEM seals. The All Ballz ones suck and if you can't afford to to fix it this time, then you're likely not going to be able to fix it again in the near future when the aftermarket seals fail. The $20 price difference between those and OEM isn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes, you should stop riding it until it's fixed IMO. Any leaking fluid has the potential to contaminate both the front tire and well as the brake pads. Any size leak has the potential to cause way more damage in terms of a crash than it will to correct the problem.

A full rebuild with springs and everything usually isn't called for, but both forks should get new seals even if only 1 side is leaking. If 1 side is leaking, it usually means the other isn't too far behind. The springs are up to you. At 43k miles, they could probably stand to be replaced, but it's not a necessity.

Stick with the OEM seals. The All Ballz ones suck and if you can't afford to to fix it this time, then you're likely not going to be able to fix it again in the near future when the aftermarket seals fail. The $20 price difference between those and OEM isn't worth the hassle.
Wow so yea, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks SkyDork!:thumbsup:

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
You should still inspect all the fork internals and replace the bushings if they're worn too much as that will just cause the new seals to fail faster. Changing the fork oil happens automatically with new seals and is a good idea as it breaks down just like motor oil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
284 Posts
You should still inspect all the fork internals and replace the bushings if they're worn too much as that will just cause the new seals to fail faster. Changing the fork oil happens automatically with new seals and is a good idea as it breaks down just like motor oil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm thinking new seals, wipers, bushings, and possibly springs. That should keep my front suspension going for many more years. Am I forgetting anything?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts