Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i have a full on race bike with an upper end build and was cruising around in 3rd place and got debris flagged as the bike was throwing smoke out the exhaust down the front straight. I check the bike when I trucked back to the pits and sure enough smoke everywhere. My hunch is (I think) the problem lies in the top end. what I was thinking about doing is doing a compression test and if that test good take the engine out and head of myself and take those in for work. reinstall and dyno and map.

Is there anything wrong with my thinking here? the bike had no decrease in power when I was flagged, but the bike makes a click noise in the left side (top end) of the engine). if it sits and you start it smoke everywhere. I am thinking that oil is leaking down through the valves onto the piston. could be very wrong, but this seems to make the most sense to me at this point with what i know. BTW the air filter is fine and not over lubed.

thanks

BTW 2012 was supposed to be my last year in racing and I need to do this cheap to keep the wife happy. any constructive advice is helpful (bike only not wife) :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
blue oil smoke or white smoke? either way wouldnt waste time on a compression test, just pull the head for good inspection of all components to be safe, never hurts on a race motor. should be fairly inexpensive doing work yourself.

·
Registered
390 Posts
blue oil smoke or white smoke? Either way wouldnt waste time on a compression test, just pull the head for good inspection of all components to be safe, never hurts on a race motor. Should be fairly inexpensive doing work yourself.
+1

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
don't pull the head, check and make sure that you don't have crankcase hose filling air box with oil due to excessive blow by. Just open the air box and see if there is any oil, if there is oil, pulling the head isn't going to solve your problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts