Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 zx10r

So now EVERYTIME I put the vehicle from neutral to 1st gear it blows the fuse that powers the speed cluster. I believe it is a 15 amp fuse and I have gone thru 3 fuses testing stuff out.

Recent things I have done have been in the past week changed tires and had the fork seals done. (Put on maybe 100 miles since done)

About a month ago switched over to HID headlights (Put on about 750 miles since done).

The logical thing is the HID's because they are electrical but why would it take a month to start acting up if I wired something funky???

I hate dealing with electrical stuff, I've owned VW's and Audi's before, and I know it's a lot of "checking".

Anyone have an idea of where I should start checking?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sounds like something is shorted. I would be looking at the schematics and finding everything on that fuse and start shooting it all with a meter. You could pull the plugs out of the cluster and shoot the wires and check the cluster itself with a meter. The service manual tells you how to check a lot of things, including the cluster, at least it does in the Gen 4 manual, which is the one I have. Download the one for your '06 and check the electrical section.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE so it is not just when I click it into 1st gear.

Yesterday I was sooooo frustrated I rewired my HID's. I figured that was the only electrical think I fuk'd with and if I was just starting to blow fuses it had to be that.

I thought that worked because I rode yesterday for like 30 miles no issues. I then rode to my brothers house and sure enough at a stop light BAM. Popped the IG fuse. I replaced the 15 amp fuse and drove through the stop light and not half way thru the stop light BAM popped again. I pulled it into a bank let it sit for a few minutes. Got another fuse out of my back pack and replaced the blown fuse. I was able I rode it home and parked it.

This morning pretty much assumed it was something with the wiring harness itself so I pulled the fairings and let it idle. I tugged and wiggled every inch of the harness and for that matter every wire I could find hoping I could figure out what was popping the IG fuse.

Sure enough NOTHING popped.

I was looking at other post and it seems like it could be the battery?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did you put on a quick shifter or a power commander? My friend had a CBR1000 and his bike did the same thing. He checked the wiring and had it to the dealer when he couldn't find it. He finally took the PC off and put it back to stock and no problems. He was so mad he ended up selling it.

·
The Pace
7,076 Posts
gotta be the lights as not done anything else, right? pia. I'd put old lights back and test. Thinking that the lights must not be compatible to the g4. Check with manufacturer. If they don't know, then tell them your problem cause you know.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Are the lights on the same circuit as the cluster? Start by finding out everything that's inline with this fuse.

HID's are plug and play and the standard 35w kit should not be blowing fuses. In my gen4 I run 55 watt HID's with no issues.

If you're popping a 15a fuse consistently you probably have a short.

As mentioned, disconnect the HID's and return the lights back to factory to eliminate the possibility.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FIXED!!!! So I read on another post that a person had the same issue. It was the battery. So Saturday after work I put a brand new battery in the bike and 99.9999% sure that was the issue. I drove it 2 hours Saturday and around 60 miles on Sunday with out an issue. Confidence is high again and can ride my bike with out the fear of the motor stopping on the highway.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellow zx10r owners!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts