Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I’m about to do my full service spark plugs air filter etc. but I was wondering if it would make sense to do the pair block offs but what’s the benefits and will it make a difference in anyways? Is there negatives to blocking them off? I’m just curious.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R KRT-2016
84 Posts
Stops popping and marginally improves performance with better ram jet at top end. But if you're gonna tune for afr, it's a must to block the ais to obtain steady readings. Other than this, you get to declutter all that plumbing on the valve cover. You will however need to disable pair in woolich if you're gonna uncouple the connector to avoid a fault code.

What milage has the bike clocked?Why're you changing plugs? These are high quality iridium plugs that will last upwards of 50k miles, if everything else is right. More important is a valve clearance check at 15k miles.

·
Registered
2012 ZX-10R
689 Posts
Well the gen 4 recommends changing the iridium plugs every 7500 miles (12000 km). I changed mine at 17000 miles, they were definitely a little tired too. In cars its not uncommon to see recommendations of 80k miles, though....

Main reason to do the block offs, is clean arm readings, as cosmic stated. I have mine ready to go on after my next track day too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The gen 4 recommends changing the iridium plugs every 7500 miles (12000 km). I changed mine at 17000 miles, they were definitely a little tired too. In cars its not uncommon to see recommendations of 80k miles, though....

Main reason to do the block offs, is clean arm readings, as cosmic stated. I have mine ready to go on after my next track day too.
The spark plugs on the Gen5 are entirely different as compared to the Gen4, including the hex dimensions. These are long reach 26mm Silmars with the manual suggesting very long intervals & rightly so. When I checked mine at 15k miles, they were good as new. The older Gen4 plugs foul up faster

·
Registered
2012 ZX-10R
689 Posts
Sorry, you are correct the Gen5 spark plug is indeed completely different, the recommended service interval on those is 30k miles.

The Gen4 plugs were not fouled in any way, the lateral electrodes are eroded a little, opening the gap up, the bike was still running fine.

*** Edited to rephrase and give more props to cosmic_ocean as he is indeed correct.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can go longer than the recommended service interval, if the plugs are fine on inspection. On my Gsxr 1k, which used similar plugs to the Gen4, my plugs lasted nearly 18k miles before I replaced them.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10RR
40 Posts
On my Gen4 I changed them at 36000kms and they looked brand new... I changed em anyway obviously but it seemed like a waste.

·
Registered
2012 ZX-10R
689 Posts
You can go longer than the recommended service interval, if the plugs are fine on inspection. On my Gsxr 1k, which used similar plugs to the Gen4, my plugs lasted nearly 18k miles before I replaced them.
Absolutely, it’s a recommended service interval, to ensure trouble free motoring. Mine didn’t look new, but they all looked good enough that I kept the old ones still!

I dug them out and they look even better than I remember, you can see the slight dishing on the underside of the lateral electrode here, thats erosion I believe. Still fine to be honest, but I had the new plug to install anyway. This was at 17k miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stops popping and marginally improves performance with better ram jet at top end. But if you're gonna tune for afr, it's a must to block the ais to obtain steady readings. Other than this, you get to declutter all that plumbing on the valve cover. You will however need to disable pair in woolich if you're gonna uncouple the connector to avoid a fault code.
Yes and yes, but there is a new option to keep the fault code from being triggered.
Used to be:
Leave it plugged in OR solder in a resistor OR disable in the ECU.

Not everyone can afford a Woolich system for every ZX they have over the years, and I'm not always in the mood to head over to a friend of a friends garage just to solder resistors in line. I started to make a plug and play bypass that keeps the check engine light off and isn't much $$. Short of leaving the thing in there it doesn't get any easier.
https://kawasakibrad.com/shop/ols/products/smog-pump-bypass (also have CNC machined and black anodized block off plates).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh daym thank you my bike has 7k but thought I had to do them already and y bike is fined and disabled the pair so I wanted to do the block offs but didn’t know if it even worth it

·
Registered
3 Posts

What milage has the bike clocked?Why're you changing plugs? These are high quality iridium plugs that will last upwards of 50k miles, if everything else is right. More important is a valve clearance check at 15k miles.
Nick dyno, ECU flash, left mine on. I think everyone has it wrong. Seems more and more are keeping the AIS on.

·
Registered
2012 ZX-10R
689 Posts
He would/should have clamped the line going to the AIS then so it was inoperable while doing a tune. You can’t get an accurate AFR with air being injected into the exhaust like that. I have disabled mine a long time ago, but I am due for a valve clearance check, so I bought the block-off plates to clean it up under there. I have an O2 sensor for my Woolich Racing Log Box Pro. So I need that crap disabled to get accurate AFR readings.

PS. I like the snap, crackle, and pops from the exhaust on the overrun, but hey....🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked him so many questions, he had a knowledgeable response for every stupid question I had. He ran 4th gear pulls. So much was going on, I couldn’t keep track. The end result, is a fire breathing dragon. Bike is no joke now

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
987 Posts
I asked him so many questions, he had a knowledgeable response for every stupid question I had. He ran 4th gear pulls. So much was going on, I couldn’t keep track. The end result, is a fire breathing dragon. Bike is no joke now
He had to have clamped the hose for sure. No way to get a proper tune with the air injection system messing up the exhaust. It has zero other bennifit aside from dropping a tiny bit of weight to block them off. Just better for tuning, I love the popping but some don't..

·
Registered
3 Posts
He had to have clamped the hose for sure. No way to get a proper tune with the air injection system messing up the exhaust. It has zero other bennifit aside from dropping a tiny bit of weight to block them off. Just better for tuning, I love the popping but some don't..
Next trackday, I wonder how Barb will feel with all that popping and up shift bang. It really does sound so strong

1 - 20 of 20 Posts