Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is the purpose of block off plates? I don't know much about them and I had a person tell me they basically eliminate any backfire from the bike. Mine has a slight backfire whenever I let off the throttle from around 6 grand or higher. It isn't a big deal nor is it that bad, but would this eliminate that from happening?

Thanks for the info in advance,

Derrick

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
With CA models it will get rid of the charcoal canister. It weighs around 2 lbs.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
1killer1liter said:
With CA models it will get rid of the charcoal canister. It weighs around 2 lbs.
I don't believe that the KLEEN block-off plates have anything at all to do with the evaporative system charcoal canister. Two separate emissions-related systems.

CA models have evap system. 49-state bikes don't. All models have KLEEN, tho.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So bottom line it doesn't hinder the bike at all, it just lets it breathe a little better and eliminates backfire? I don't have a CA model by the way. Do you think it would be necessary to remap after doing them? Also, how big of a deal is it to install them? Any recommendations on brands?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
No there is no nead to remap and installing them is easy.

Pull the rear seat, front seat, tank, air box and ramn air tubes. Once you have them off there are two plates on the front side of the top of the valve cover with a valve inbetween them with a hose running to the airbox. Disconnect the electrical connection on the valve, and the hoses to it and keep for later on down the road or discard.

Then plug the hole in the airbox with the cap that comes with the block off kit ot with whatever you come up with to block it off. Then pull the two allen bolts out of the pumper valves and the whole thing comes off. Replace with the block off plates and reassemble everything and you are done.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
I don't believe that the KLEEN block-off plates have anything at all to do with the evaporative system charcoal canister. Two separate emissions-related systems.

CA models have evap system. 49-state bikes don't. All models have KLEEN, tho.
I may have gotten this mixed up. I did the emissions and the kleen block off plates at the same time. Sorry for the mix up.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its cool. Thanks for all the info fellas. Special thanks to sneaky that gave me directions. Those are always good. Appreciate it.

Derrick

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a stupid question. Does this mod effect anything like power delivery? Or fuel mileage? I know it sounds stupid but I like the mileage I have been getting compared to the 12.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nope, all it does is take fresh air out of the airbox and pump it into the exhaust tract to help clean up the exhaust gases as they are leaving the system.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
anybody have pics of this...install, pieces, etc?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
any before pics? and a pic of the plug in the airbox? how much are the block off plates anyways...

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I think that I payed about 25-35 dollars to get Ivan's.

·
Registered
242 Posts
someone desperatly needs to post pics of what exactly needs to be plugged both for the process of when installing block off plates, and also pics need to be posted of exactly how to remove a CA smog system! i'm looking at my bike, but i'm not totally sure, and i dont wanna go screwing anything up, so i'd be really nice to have some picture confirmation as to what needs to be done!

.....as well - it seems that the valving system must also allow air from the valve cover into the airbox intake. if this system is removed, wouldnt you now have to re-dyno the bike, because now the bike is taking in fresher air, hence more air. i've heard that removing such a device can sometimes cause detonation ..

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I was looking at this page in the service manual to get an idea of what was going on. There is a section on the kleen with B&W pics but this is easier to see.

I did not know how to grab one page from the .pdf so here is a pic of the page.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Here are a couple pics I think I put in another thread but I'll just attach them here. If you find the other thread I think that you plug the blue and extend the red hose on the charcoal cali canister and remove the rest...I'll have to look at the other thread though...

·
Registered
242 Posts
- I guess this has more to do with the CA smog system than block off plates, but here it goes.....

.....OK so i got some pics ...

here is what i beleive to be the compleate system with the canister. what is the actual name for the "THING" (green)? and i assume the "BOX" is the charcoal canister? i have color cordinated and labeled each pipe and said where it goes to.

·
Registered
242 Posts
and here is a view of the throttle bodies where the hoses are routed to...

i'm gonna jump out on a limb and guess that these are to be plugged after the hoses and system have been removed..... :mrgreen:

.... so who can tell me how to properly remove all this BS ??!!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
BD did a write up on it. I looked for tth thread, but couldn't find it. BD helped me take my smog stuff off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts