Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some direction on installing the block off plates. Any instructions out there [smilie=1: ? I reviewed the service manual and was wondering what is actually removed during the install and if there is anything else I will need to complete the project. I was also wondering how long should it take? Thanks guys....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
BD put up a decent set of destructions for installing the block off plates, do a search for it. Pretty easy to do, 'cept for getting the airbox out, that's the only tough part. couple hours. Good rainy day project, unless you live here in the central CA Valley, where it rains like 3 times a year, then you may have to wait a while to get it done [smilie=b:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If you have the service manual, check out page 5-2 for the exploded illustration. You will be removing the bolts marked "1" in the illustration, in order to remove the two caps shown and the valve between them.

On page 5-9 you will find full instructions on how to get at and remove the "Air Switching Valve" and the "Air Suction Valve Caps". You do not want to remove the reed valves, themselves. The block-off plates you have require the seal around the reed valves in order to not leak. No sealant necessary, tho.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just did the mod last week. The air box and forward most screws on the reed valve covers was the most difficult part of removal and install. Also removed the charcoal canister while I was in there. [smilie=b:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plates block off the 'KLEEN' system(I believe its called) on the bike. The system puts fresh air into the exhaust to aid in burning up any unspent. With an aftermarket can, it will cause some backfiring, which can deteriorate the packing material. From my understanding it doesn't eliminate the backfiring, but minimizes the issue. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, for the ounce counters it will reduce weight:1848: .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts