Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have galfer front and rear lines. What is the proper way to bleed the lines without tools? I have basic tools, but not a bleeder tool. Thanks for your help.

-Brandon

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
technique

Start by bleeding @ the calipers first, ie pump lever 3-4 times and crack the bleed nipple just enough to let air out and once you begin to feel the lever firm up after repeated attempts do the same to the opposite caliper. Once the system has firmed up you'll be forced to squeeze hard and force the air/fluid out, now before the lever hits the grip close the bleeder to eliminate the possibility of air entering the system, rinse & repeat 3-4 times per caliper.

Now on to the MC and essentially apply the same technique when bleeding it. repeat as necessary until the lever firms up to satisfy.

BD

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I went to Advance Auto and bought a bleeding kit. The kit contains a small bottle attached to an 18" clear brake line. You simply attach the clear brake line to the bleeder screw and perform the steps that BD explained. It made the job much nicer and no spillage.

Don’t be alarmed if it takes a couple minutes of yanking on the lever until it begins to firm up. It is going to take about 20 minutes until it is all done. Make sure you keep an eye on the reservoir; if it empties during the process you will be pumping air into the system. Keep it somewhat filled.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Start by bleeding @ the calipers first, ie pump lever 3-4 times and crack the bleed nipple just enough to let air out and once you begin to feel the lever firm up after repeated attempts do the same to the opposite caliper. Once the system has firmed up you'll be forced to squeeze hard and force the air/fluid out, now before the lever hits the grip close the bleeder to eliminate the possibility of air entering the system, rinse & repeat 3-4 times per caliper.

Now on to the MC and essentially apply the same technique when bleeding it. repeat as necessary until the lever firms up to satisfy.

BD
About bleeding the MC... Air will escape through the MC and eventually overflow when theres no air left in the system?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
About bleeding the MC... Air will escape through the MC and eventually overflow when theres no air left in the system?
if you are asking a question yes the air bubbles will come to the upper most portion of the system (in this case the MC) and eventually get all fluid when bleeding it. A word of advice is after you've finished the bleed and take a ride or two bleed the entire system again as tiny air bubbles get trapped and hopefully after a couple rides they will have worked their way upward.

BD

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ive got some speed bleeders as well... Failed to mention that. Anything different besides the ease of bleeder screw removal/adjustment

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I went to Advance Auto and bought a bleeding kit. The kit contains a small bottle attached to an 18" clear brake line. You simply attach the clear brake line to the bleeder screw and perform the steps that BD explained. It made the job much nicer and no spillage.

Don’t be alarmed if it takes a couple minutes of yanking on the lever until it begins to firm up. It is going to take about 20 minutes until it is all done. Make sure you keep an eye on the reservoir; if it empties during the process you will be pumping air into the system. Keep it somewhat filled.
:+1:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
IMO it makes it easier to have help. Usually the wife will help me...when messing with brake fluid I try to take extra care not to spill any. Pump, pump, pump, hold and while she's holding it usually i'll crack the banjo bolt, let the air out quickly then tighten. Repeat numerous times. Just be careful because it can be somewhat hard to get the air out of the m/c.

Good luck.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
IMO it makes it easier to have help. Usually the wife will help me...when messing with brake fluid I try to take extra care not to spill any. Pump, pump, pump, hold and while she's holding it usually i'll crack the banjo bolt, let the air out quickly then tighten.

Good luck.
now these are the kind of hands we all need :wink:

BD

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
I bought something when I was changing out my line called a Mityvac...it's a vacuum pump with tubing and a reservoir...cost me $40...bled my lines in about 10 minutes with zero mess...I highly recommend.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Power Bleeders

I have used power bleeders. They do tend to get the bubbles out more rapidly. Additionally, on some problem systems, they'll help to get the last nasty bubble out.

In general, I just use the catch bottle referenced earlier and it works fine.

If it is a new install or problem situation, I will use the speed bleeder.

Just as a note, I do not own a speed bleeder. Both Autozone and Advance Auto offer loaners. They put the purchase price on your credit card. When you return it, they give you a full refund. The ones they have are very good. If you choose to do this, call the store first to check that they have one. There are a few that do not carry them and sometimes those they do have are loaned out.

Keep in mind that the catch bottle can be done with one person. If you use the speed bleeder, you will most likely need a helper. That is, unless you are much more dexterous than me.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Just an additional tidbit with regard to the use of mityvac, speedbleeders, powerbleeders etc is its always a good idea to manually bleed the system after using them.

BD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts