Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 ZX-10R. Bought it bone stock. Right from the get I knew the brakes were bad but after reading numerous internet threads, I bought a set of 07 CBR1000 calipers. I left the rest of the braking system alone. Night and day difference but still not what I am used to on other bikes. So I installed Galfer SS brake lines. Now when I try to stop, it feels like there is air in the system. You pull lever once and its bites but not hard like it used to and if I pump the lever 2-3 times, then it bites like it used to. So I bled the brakes again, and again, and again... no change. I put a hand pump on the left caliper and sucked brake fluid out to draw any kind of air in the system and nothing. I dont know anymore. I bled the master first, then the right caliper, then the left caliper. Tried reversing bleeding procedure and no change. Every bleeder, I put a silicone hose on the valve into a cup of brake fluid. I pump lever fast 10 times or so then hold hard then crack bleeder and close quickly. Ive done this so many times and am getting no more air. Maybe I need to do it a 5th time?

I spent alot of time on these brakes bleeding them and I am not liking the lever feel. Please help me before I hang myself.

Also, I was looking into upgrading the braking system a little further. I have read that the ZX-14 calipers grab better than the CBR1000 calipers and also a new brake master cylinder will help too.

Any knowledgeable advice? (Knowledgeable meaning hands on expierences, not an opinion you have read. No offense, just tired of the nobodys putting in thier input not reading the thread entiely or just dont know what they are talking about other than what they have read half ass)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
A trick I have done in the past with a similar problem...was ride the bike make the brakes hot...come home take a zip tie and compress the brake lever fully ....leave it overnight and the next day bleed it from the master ....typically the air rises so leaving it overnight will allow all the air to flow to the top.....

This worked for me....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got the 07 also and I did the ZX-14 calipers. I had read about the CBR's fitting also but decided to stick with the 14's. One of my buddies runs a local shop and I had him put on the calipers and a set of Goodridge steel braided lines all at the same time. He used a vacume specific for bleeding brakes because according to him that was the only way to make sure all of the air was out of the lines. I haven't had any issues with mine since the install and they sifference is unbeleivable. The first 100 miles or so I had to be careful because it felt like I was going to toss myself over the handlebars everytime I used them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you can get your hands on a horse syringe and some rubber hose, try filling the syringe with brake fluid, waiting for any bubbles to settle, then forcing the brake fluid up through the system. (start with the caliper at the end of the brake line). If you empty out most of the brake fluid that is already in there it is easier to not make a mess of it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you can get your hands on a horse syringe and some rubber hose, try filling the syringe with brake fluid, waiting for any bubbles to settle, then forcing the brake fluid up through the system. (start with the caliper at the end of the brake line). If you empty out most of the brake fluid that is already in there it is easier to not make a mess of it.
I did something similar using a siphon kit I picked up from Walmart. Fill it with fluid and push fresh fluid up thru the system. Zip tie the lever, let it sit overnight, bleed from the top end and you should be good to go.

The lack of feel could be air in the lines, the pads you're using or both. To be sure, you might wanna find someone with a vacuum bleeder though to help you out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A trick I have done in the past with a similar problem...was ride the bike make the brakes hot...come home take a zip tie and compress the brake lever fully ....leave it overnight and the next day bleed it from the master ....typically the air rises so leaving it overnight will allow all the air to flow to the top.....

This worked for me....
I just got home from about an hour ride. I pumped up my brake lever and had my female of the night hold the lever while I tied it off. It will have about 8 hours of sitting like that before I touch it again. In the morning, I will take her car down to the shop and get my bleeder line and bleed the master once more then see how it feels. I will report back the results later in the evening tomorrow.

As far as the vacuum trick everyone is talking about, I tried that already. On left front caliper, I sucked the brake fluid out through the bleeder filling up the resevior as I went along never letting it get below the low point. Didnt work but if this method doesnt work tomorrow morning, I will give these other ideas a try.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zx10miami, you are my hero today!

I woke up this morning and didnt even put on socks or brush my teeth. I went outside and checked my tool box for an 8mm box wrench and rubber line and I had it all here. I cracked the bleeder and I here air popping out. I pump lever a bunch of times and hold it, crack bleeder and solid fluid. GOOD SIGN!!!

Now when I pull the lever, I cant bring it to the handlebar grip where before it would go there with ease. I can feel a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the lever feel. I went for a morning drive and I have brakes again! Last night I would slam on the front brakes to the handlebar grip and I would slowly come to a stop. Now if I did that, I would flip over the bike for sure.

I think I am happy with my brakes now. Id like to get a little more bite to them but I think that will get solved when I fix my fork seals from leaking all over my pads. I have new seals and pads here now... just dont want to do it yet.

But again, thanks zx10miami!!!!

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
good deal. form my experience with this bike, the brakes are extrememly hard to bleed for some reason. i had some trouble with mine when i changed out the lines, i think i pumped a bottle of fluid through and finally got them to bleed. then i changed my brothers 6rr, same issue, and even changed the master on his, PITA. i had to do the overnight deal on his several times after the master change. glad you got it to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts