Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed the oil and filter in the spring. mobil 1 racing whatever oil. i have done 4 track days, some dyno work and a lot of running in the garage. when i got back from my last track event i looked at the oil sight gauge and couldn't get a reading. so i decided to do an oil change.

the engine is in a race car and i do road course.

the oil was dark black. is this a problem? what could cause it to become so black so quick? any ideas?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Wet clutch rides in same oil that engine uses.

Also if you still have the slipper clutch in there, who knows how much it is slipping when you back off the throttle being that it is in a car. More weight, more contact patch...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
From what I understand, it is not "bad" that your oil is black. That just means it is doing it's job by suspending all of the junk that your engine is producing. However you did wait too long to change your oil.:wink: It would be wise, as said above, to change it after every track day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oil temp

i don't have an oil temp gauge. but water temp on an 80 degree day was running between 160 and 190. where did you install an oil temp gauge and what gauge and sender unit did you use?

also thanks guys for all the replies and info.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I made an adaptor to go in place of the oem heat exchanger (which I found didn't work for crap) that has -8 fittings that feed an oil cooler and external oil filter. In place of the oil filter I have a spin on adaptor with -10 fittings that connects to an inline setrab oil to water heat exchanger. The oil goes through the heat exchanger, then the cooler, and then the filter. I have two sensors, one in the oil filter adaptor (the coolest location), and one in the pan (hottest location) in a bung I welded into it. I can switch between either sensor. I used an autometer gauge with 1/8 NPT sensors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts