Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my 2008 zx10r (gen 3) and have been reading how the oem rivets on the clutch basket is absolute trash. Now I've been doing some research on it but haven't found any forums really comparing the two. My style of riding is mainly just wheelies and some hard riding on the street with some friends, and maybe some occasional track time. I'm leaning more towards the heavy duty rebuild kit as my best and more affordable option as from what I can tell the billet clutch basket is more for drag use and excessive hard launches. I really want to only ever have to do this once and was seeing if anyone could give me some insight on how reliable the heavy duty rivet rebuild actually holds up especially with clutch ups.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Pulling your clutch basket and geting it riveted will be cheapest and best option. Got a buddy with street/strip gen3 that did the same bike still going strong years later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to hear. Hows his riding style? I've read multiple people complaining about doing even small amounts of clutch ups and damn near blew the engine because the oem basket blew up on them. Still in the learning phase for clutches ups and I know I'll be a bit hard on the clutch once she's on the road.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
That's good to hear. Hows his riding style? I've read multiple people complaining about doing even small amounts of clutch ups and damn near blew the engine because the oem basket blew up on them. Still in the learning phase for clutches ups and I know I'll be a bit hard on the clutch once she's on the road.
Yea gen3 baskets are notorious for exploding. His bike mainly track riden usually cuts low 1.40's 60ft if that helps you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

For regular street riding stock basket with upgraded rivets should work just fine, billet basket is nice, but it's for bikes pushing a lot more power than stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. It sounds like the rivet upgrade would be able to handle what I've got planned. I've basically just got bolts on and a flashed ECU as far as more horsepower goes. It should be fine with the clutch ups. I'm also aware of the faulty shift shaft on the 08's which I plan on changing out once I take off the basket but if yall are aware of anything else I should upgrade please let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts