Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been working on my bike to try and get it ready to go over the pits on Wednesday. Got everything done and got to my last job... quieting down the exhaust...

This is a 2007 ZX10R by the way.

Now for a bit of background, I've been having some trouble with the battery loosing charge. It's a new battery and I can't take it for a good ride to fully charge it until after It's passed the pits. So I've been keeping it on charge every 2-3 days for a few hours.

So the past couple of days its been starting up nicely no worries and running good.

Today, I tried baffling the exhaust with a bit of fibreglass insulation/chicken wire. Tried to start it. And nothing. Just turned over without firing.

I assumed I'd put too much in and it wasn't getting enough flow. So out it came. Tried again. And nothing. It would turn over but just not fire.

Coincidently I think it ran out of fuel at this same point. The fuel light had been flashing for quite a while, and looking into the tank couldn't see much fuel.

Filled it up, gave it a go and nothing.

So, now I'm stumped. Tried to get to the plugs but lack of tools stopped me actually taking them out to have a look. I'm assuming the fuel pump is working and it's getting fuel as I can hear it whirring as I go to start her up.

Generally in the past when it's just turned over without starting it's been a battery problem and not getting enough juice. Putting it onto a set of jumper leads off the car would fire her straight up. But not this case.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'd get the tools you need to remove the plug, if it's turning over and not firing, that's a good place to start. Then work your way back through the ignition. Might find your battery issue in there somewhere also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well got the plugs out (what a mission!), and they were very black, and also wet. So most likely the plugs are at fault. Held them up against the engine block and ticked it over and it was very weak.

So I'll pick up some new ones tomorrow and fingers crossed that will fix it.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If they are wet, they are foul.

·
Registered
7 Posts
definetely sounds like your charging system..you shouldn't have to charge your battery but only once when it dies..then your "stater"...which is basically your alternator should charge your battery while running..I do know that it takes 6 hours at least to fully charge your battery ......stick it on a trickle charger of 2amps or so and charge it overnight....if it won't start after a day....I would try first replacing the battery.....put a charging meter on the battery to see if it's getting a charge.....it should read somewhere around 13V or higher...if it's readying 12 and decreasing then your charging system is shot and not charging your battery....

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
definetely sounds like your charging system..you shouldn't have to charge your battery but only once when it dies..then your "stater"...which is basically your alternator should charge your battery while running..I do know that it takes 6 hours at least to fully charge your battery ......stick it on a trickle charger of 2amps or so and charge it overnight....if it won't start after a day....I would try first replacing the battery.....put a charging meter on the battery to see if it's getting a charge.....it should read somewhere around 13V or higher...if it's readying 12 and decreasing then your charging system is shot and not charging your battery....
:+1: If you recharge the battery all the time it could get overcooked. If your battery is ok then you check the rectifier (stator) as mentioned above. Next step is generator... I personally never jump start my bike (12ampH) with a 70ampH car battery or with a car booster, just me....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery seems good now. Honestly... I just don't think it ever had a proper charge. Usually it was on for a couple of hours, bike would tick over, then I'd shut it off. Maybe do some more work to it. Fire it up, shut it off etc etc. This would happen quite regularly.

Since taking out and cleaning up the plugs she fired up great straight away. And I've since taken it for a few rides. Where she ran great. It did start to get a little harder to start after a few weeks, but that was only where it was out for maybe 10/15 minutes on maybe 2 rides. And then sat there for nearly 2 weeks again.

The other night I put it on charge overnight and straight away, bang, fired up fantastic. Checked voltage while running and it was definately getting a good charge. I'd say the stator is fine.

Cheers all for the advice/opinions!! It is handy to know the stator is common fault on this model though!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Glad you have it sorted but....

When you say "Charge," what kind of charger are you using?

I only trust a Deltran battery tender (or something of similar quality- but tenders for me) on a bike battery. Even two amps can be a bit much if left too long.

Also a new battery needs a complete charge. They only come up to abour 85% on their own after adding the electrolyte.
It will have a much happier/longer life if you give it a good initial charge from a tender.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts