Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I totaled my bike last summer and I'm finally wraping up it's re-build. Mostly just cosmetic damage, nothing major except reshaping the badly damaged fuel tank and re-sealing it.

It ran fine before I took it apart, fired right up after just 2-3 cranks.

Since the tank was off for repair anyway, I replaced sparkplugs and air filter.
I put everything back on, ensured everything was connected, and now the bike won't start.
Cranks fine, everything lights up, sounds like no fuel. Also, when the key is turned there are no typical priming and mechanical noises that are supposed to happen when you turn the key. The exhaust servo under the seat does not spin and I do not hear the familiar "brrrrrr" of what I'm assuming is fuel priming.

I removed the fuel pump from the tank during repair, it was not touched from that point until it went back into the tank and back onto the bike when the tank was finished. Because of this I don't think it's the fuel pump.
I was also replacing all fairings so could it be possible I bumped the bike down sensor or something? How do I "reset" the ECU/ignition to ensure that's not what's causing it?

Thank you for any and all other suggestions or experience, I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welp, I can't find anything online specific to this issue other than evidence that it's possible for a fuel pump to seize up when left in the open air. So, I took the tank back off and removed the fuel pump assembly. I connected it back to the bike by itself, and it doesn't do anything when I try to start the bike. No noises, no clicks, no vibrations, nothing. I also tested to see if it would pump fuel before I removed it from the tank, and nothing. Must be the fuel pump right? I also found that the actual fuel pump is only $25.. instead of the $100+ for the full assembly that I was looking at. So I ordered a new pump and it'll be here next week. I'll let ya know if it works ^_^

·
Registered
254 Posts
fresh fuel pump always good to do, but u should check that pump getting 12v thru pump harness/plug. just ground a test light to frame/battery and probe the harness plug that fuel pump wires plug into, will only light if current present during normal startup prime cycle or after that when engaging starter. u may not have 12v to pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fresh fuel pump always good to do, but u should check that pump getting 12v thru pump harness/plug. just ground a test light to frame/battery and probe the harness plug that fuel pump wires plug into, will only light if current present during normal startup prime cycle or after that when engaging starter. u may not have 12v to pump.
Yep, checked that prior to taking the tank off again. It's getting power.
I'm just concerned about the exhaust servo also not doing anything... >_>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it was the fuel pump. Somehow it was causing the exhaust servo to not work either.
Replaced the fuelpump and all is well, started up just fine. ^_^

1 - 5 of 5 Posts