Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my '06 10R sitting in my garage for a little over a year. I start it occasionally to keep the battery going, but it's getting weak. Today I decide to ride it and when I tap it down into first from neutral, it lurches and dies. As if I didn't have the clutch pulled in.

Again, I've done nothing to the bike, but let it sit with the occasional start-up. I tried adjusting the clutch cable, but to no avail. Anyone know what's going on?

·
Registered
226 Posts
your clutch pack are dry !!!!
you may try to dump some oil on them by adding oil to the engine . The hole to add oil is directly above the clutch pack . Then run the bike until hot and work the clutch leaver many time over with the bike straight up and not on the side stand . I would not force it because you may cause damage to the plates . Let it soak up the oil . Normally when installing a new clutch pack it should be soaked over night in oil >>> i telling you this so you could understand how long it may take for you clutch to soak in the required oil and work . Once it starts to work drive it without ever holding the clutch leaver at stops .

·
Registered
635 Posts
your clutch pack are dry !!!!
you may try to dump some oil on them by adding oil to the engine . The hole to add oil is directly above the clutch pack . Then run the bike until hot and work the clutch leaver many time over with the bike straight up and not on the side stand . I would not force it because you may cause damage to the plates . Let it soak up the oil . Normally when installing a new clutch pack it should be soaked over night in oil >>> i telling you this so you could understand how long it may take for you clutch to soak in the required oil and work . Once it starts to work drive it without ever holding the clutch leaver at stops .
Thank you I really didn't feel like typing all that but to the OP yes what he said:+1:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Your kickstand is up right? Also what happens when its in first and you try and start it

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your kickstand is up right? Also what happens when its in first and you try and start it
haha this is the first thing that came to my mind.

I doubt your clutch plates are "dry". But I also don't have an idea as to what it would be....so oil away!

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, kickstand is up. And if I try to start it in gear, with the clutch pulled in, it lurches and won't start. It's like the clutch isn't even there.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Take off the oil cap and you should be able to see the clutch stack.. Have someone pull in the clutch lever while you watch the stack, you should be able to see it move in and out? Let me know if you can see it move then we will go from there

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try these tips this weekend. Very busy week right now. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine did the same thing i jumped the kickstand switch and now it works fine....kickstand switch went bad on mine...just cut the two wires and hook them together...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have you tried putting it in gear (without ngine running) and pull the clutch level back. Then try rocking the bike back and forth a bit to see if it pops the plates loose?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Clutch plates have adhered to each other , the simple fix is to put it in gear and hold the clutch in and rock the bike, if that doesnt work then remove the oil cap and get a flat screw driver to place in between the ears on the clutch plates, twist the screw driver to release a single plate, the rest will follow soon after by themselves. Then change your oil.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Clutch plates have adhered to each other , the simple fix is to put it in gear and hold the clutch in and rock the bike, if that doesnt work then remove the oil cap and get a flat screw driver to place in between the ears on the clutch plates, twist the screw driver to release a single plate, the rest will follow soon after by themselves. Then change your oil.
Have you tried putting it in gear (without ngine running) and pull the clutch level back. Then try rocking the bike back and forth a bit to see if it pops the plates loose?
Deja vu

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sunday I'll start with seeing if the clutch plates are stuck together and definately change the oil. If that's not the problem, I'll look at the kickstand switch.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Before you start changing the oil and whatnot, I would try to see if the bike can move (with engine off) while in gear and the clutch lever pulled back. I had the same problem with other bikes and just gently rocking the bike back and forth once or twice popped the plates loose right away.

Assuming that you have changed the oil at some point recently, how is changing it again going to fix the clutch plates sticking a bit? While it was sitting, did you try moving it around or shifting it at all or has it been stationary?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts