Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new zx10r owner here, its a 2012.

just been noticing my bikes temperature usually sits around 85 Celsius up to 100 plus Celsius ( 185F to 215F), today it hit 103C and only went below 100 after a short period riding, as usually the ambient temperature gives a false reading while sitting at lights.
usually on a good day while going about 50mph itll be at 76C but it seems to be getting hotter every time i ride and staying hotter for longer,

im in australia and the weather is rather hot, about 95F on good day, should i be worried abouit these kinds of 100 plus Celsius temperatures? i didnt even break 6k revs for a 20 minute ride

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
You need air flow and need to not lug the bike. Never letting the rpm get up in range when riding is as bad or worse for our bikes as getting it up and bouncing it off the Rev limiter. I'm not sure how u never crossed 6k rpm while riding as that is when the bike wakes up and becomes more efficient. If you are shifting prior to 6k rpm you are shifting way too early even for putting around town. Get her up to the speed you want to be at then just shit her up a few gears and let her idle at that speed. As for temps, as long as your fan is working you may think about flushing your coolant and running water wetter or vp coolant or something like it in your bike. It likely doesn't freeze often where u are at so probably don't need antifreeze as much as just coolant correct? Plus a flush should help get some of the nasty corrosion crap out of the coolant system. It shouldn't really be running above 200 even on hot days unless you are running her really hard or sitting at idle without air flow for a long time

·
The Pace
6,962 Posts
no problem at 215. I do check the reservoir after hot loops during cleaning. If I recall, fans don't light up until about 203f or so.

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
31 Posts
Hey guys, new zx10r owner here, its a 2012.

just been noticing my bikes temperature usually sits around 85 Celsius up to 100 plus Celsius ( 185F to 215F), today it hit 103C and only went below 100 after a short period riding, as usually the ambient temperature gives a false reading while sitting at lights.
usually on a good day while going about 50mph itll be at 76C but it seems to be getting hotter every time i ride and staying hotter for longer,

im in australia and the weather is rather hot, about 95F on good day, should i be worried abouit these kinds of 100 plus Celsius temperatures? i didnt even break 6k revs for a 20 minute ride
Hey buddy!

Have the same 2012. As @Twistedsocal13 said earlier, you would need to flush the coolant.

Short answer: yes, it's ok, just do the coolant work

Long answer: Just as the manual says each 2 years it should be done. I can tell from my experience, that when the maintenance is due for the coolant the bike gets hot very fast and up to those 100C. After coolant flush it barely hits the fan temp (96c) and thermostat (86C) does the work fine. I do ride slow in the town, like, up to 6-7k rpm on 1st gear and there's barely big airflow obviously :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts