Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 days in a row now, my bike has stalled in the morning after i back it out of the garage and put it in gear. Almost as if the kickstand was down. It only seems to happen when the bike hasn't been ridden for a few hours and when i fire it back up everything works fine.

Could my kickstand switch be going bad?

·
Registered
916 Posts
That sounds like the most likely cause... check if the switch works.

you do know that when you try to put it in gear with the stand down, it will shut off?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
jut give it a lil gas as you drop it into gear. could be close to tune up time. i wouldnt associate that with a sidestand switch if it is not down.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has been about 10,000 miles since i changed the plugs and cleaned the air filter so i guess that could be part of it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
and just to clarify, sometimes when cold starting and putting into gear right away, the clutch plates aren't ready to do their thing yet, and stall out the bike if trying to go into gear too soon. When it dies, does it jerk the bike hard when going into gear, or die with less drama like the sidestand was down. Have you recently done an oil change?

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Bike should not stall when putting it into gear, tune-up or not.

Kickstand switch is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It dies with no drama, like if the stand was down. Never has done this until about 3 days ago.

Just changed the oil about 500 miles ago.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Clutch Switch out of adjustment!! Adjust your clutch cable and check the switch. Bet it won't start it in gear with the kickstand up.

And if you have aftermarket levers sometimes they won't engage on certain setting.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clutch Switch out of adjustment!! Adjust your clutch cable and check the switch. Bet it won't start it in gear with the kickstand up.

And if you have aftermarket levers sometimes they won't engage on certain setting.
It starts fine in gear.

Each morning that it has stalled, i hit the starter immediately after and it fires right up in gear and it doesn't give me anymore problems after that.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
It dies with no drama, like if the stand was down. Never has done this until about 3 days ago.

Just changed the oil about 500 miles ago.
Well, checking out the side stand (making sure Up is totally up) is going to be the first and easiest thing to check.

That's what happened on my bike just recently, a few times. Made me say WTF? till I noticed the side stand, fell short of a full up. Now if it happens again, I'll just tap it with my foot. If it gets worse I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now that i think about it you should check your flux capacitor!
Charged and ready. But it sure is annoying when the bike stalls before i can go back in time :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, checking out the side stand (making sure Up is totally up) is going to be the first and easiest thing to check.

That's what happened on my bike just recently, a few times. Made me say WTF? till I noticed the side stand, fell short of a full up. Now if it happens again, I'll just tap it with my foot. If it gets worse I'll deal with it.
I was thinking about that. Maybe it is something as simple as the return spring going weak.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How about a little build up of excess chain wax on the side stand switch making it a little slow to do it's thing when cold?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I was thinking about that. Maybe it is something as simple as the return spring going weak.
I haven't examined it, but.... When I do, I'm not expecting the spring to have gone weak. I'm expecting the swing arm pivot, joint to be dirty, and in need of cleaning and fresh grease. :cool:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i will try greasing the pivot tonight if i get a chance. Although i can confirm that when it stalled this morning that the kickstand was all the way up. I

I am thinking it is the kickstand switch. Luckily my roommate converted his zx-10r to a race bike so hopefully i can find his kickstand switch and use it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts