Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear people,

Please help this may be a very simple thing for someone that knows these the engines inside out but as yet I am not a complete expert so please bare with me.

A couple of month ago I cracked the head on my 2004 ZX10R, so a second hand 2005 head was bought and fitted by a friend. I was given the engine back and I threw it back in the frame all seemed to be going well.

On starting the bike it sounded awful like it had some horrible knocking coming from the engine, going through a process of elimination I/we came up with the following.

1, Its not the exhaust headers (well it might have played a small part) until i put the race exhaust back on to match the setting for the power commander.

2, It cant be the ends has it is not loosing oil pressure or any other pressure for that matter.

3, it cant be the engine rattling in the frame as all the bolt and spacers etc where checked again and again.

Soooooooo...................

4, Were left with the cam chain which seemed to be the only obvious thing left, so I took out the cam chain tightening bolt to put in the long allen key to push it forward to tighten the cam chain but it would not budge applied reasonable pressure and still no movement.

I then went onto to remove the whole cam chain tension thing and manually move the pin forward and use the two side screws to tighten it back into place there for manually tightening the cm chain so to speak, the only thing this achieved so stopping the engine from turning.

So, here I am left with the cam chain being the most logical reason for the noise but unable to tighten it any further. I am starting to get the feeling the whole engine needs to come out to take a look, believe not something i want to do unless really required.

Any help or bright ideas much appreciated

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would guess the chain guide or guides are not installed properly, and I would not try anything like that with the chain tensioner again if you want your motor to run again. Doing what you did may have damaged the guide.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Might do a search on the site for 04 Generator failure, totally unrelated to your head swap, but very common on the 04's. When they go, it will sound like some marbles rattling around in your crank case.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Might do a search on the site for 04 Generator failure, totally unrelated to your head swap, but very common on the 04's. When they go, it will sound like some marbles rattling around in your crank case.
I would drop your oil pan down, and see if you have a bunch of debris in the pan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello All,

Many thanks for all your replies, where to start Jess14r yes your right stupid idea wont be done again luckily not much force was applied and it still runs just like a bag of spanners.

10roller, yes went through the manual as described and using the standard non returning tensioner however that part seems to be tight and ok.

9r to 10r, thanks for that i will look into it do you know if the bike will still start/run etc with a knackered generator?

Wildcats, i was thinking exactly the same thing even more so when it started.

sextaafondo, The bike is an ex race bike and little did i know you cant run coolant in the radiator on a race track, so when taking it out on a some what brisk January morning it cracked. Other than that it was sounding fine before that small incident.

Yammaxx, I have drained and flushed the engine 4 times since putting it back together due to haveing to get all of the lovely oil/water mix i made when cracking the head.

I am starting to think the cam chains guides could be the problem does any one know how ie, are the runners on pins or are there two runners for each side of the chain and so on.

Once again thanks for all your replies

·
Registered
860 Posts
Not to dig up an old thread but, Did you check all the shims on the new head? How about timing? Could be worn/loose valve springs and shim tolerances out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts