Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Is there a cure out there to keep the bike cool while riding in town? I am riding past two days and if I am stuck at a stop light for more than a few minutes, the temp climbs up quickly. I guess it is by design and there is nothing wrong with it. When I start riding the temp goes back down You gurus who live in Florida or TX can chime in with any suggestions.

·
Registered
Gen3
346 Posts
hello.

Which gen? How hot is the temp? what's the day temp like?
some gens have oil cooler, some uses coolant to cool the oil. does the radiator fan turn on as expected?

My gen 3 (no oil cooler, heat exchanger to coolant), day temp, low 30-ish C (82~92F)

Hottest dash temp observed so far at stop lights, 102C (216F)
Normal riding temp 86~87C (186F), city traffic 92~96C (198-205F).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alexei. Sorry, the bike is a 2018 ZX-10 with only 3K miles on it. (I don't ride much). While sitting at the stoplight for more than 3 or so minutes yesterday at 89 degrees ambient temp, the bike temp climbed up to 217 and stayed for a little bit but then the traffic started rolling and it went back down. The fan was running and throwing hot air. once the bike is running or I am on the highway, the temps stary at 176F

·
Chairman of the Board
16,157 Posts
Florida here. I did two things to keep mine cool. First was to replace the antifreeze with Water Wetter and distilled water. Since I live in a place where it very rarely gets to 32 degrees and my bike was kept inside anyway, there was no reason to worry about anything freezing and so no need for antifreeze. Second was the fan switch mod. Basically you add a switch so that you can manually turn on the fan. When I came to a stop light I would just turn the fan on. You can kind of stay ahead of the heat this way. The combination of the two work pretty well.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or10r; Where did you tap into the wiring to install the switch. I mean which wire?
BTW, I live in Oklahoma so it gets hot and cold here but the bike stays inside in a garage where I have a tiny heater that runs during cold nights. In summertime I have an attic fan that comes on.

·
Registered
Gen3
346 Posts
Hi Alexei. Sorry, the bike is a 2018 ZX-10 with only 3K miles on it. (I don't ride much). While sitting at the stoplight for more than 3 or so minutes yesterday at 89 degrees ambient temp, the bike temp climbed up to 217 and stayed for a little bit but then the traffic started rolling and it went back down. The fan was running and throwing hot air. once the bike is running or I am on the highway, the temps stary at 176F
I'd say it's normal based on what I'm getting from my Gen3 2009 with the similar ambient temp, don't you think?

It's when the bike dash indicates overheat or close to that threshold, then I'd worry.
For long stops at lights, I would be inclined to stop the engine and switch the key off mainly to avoid drain from the headlights.

You can try different coolant products which can reduce running temp by a few degrees, that will in turn slow the heat up at stop lights also. I have not ventured that much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, thank you. I read the manual last night and it says it was to go significantly higher and the dash will lit up at that time. I shut the engine at long stoplights. Also looking to add a switch to manually turn on and off the fan.

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
237 Posts
Florida here. I did two things to keep mine cool. First was to replace the antifreeze with Water Wetter and distilled water. Since I live in a place where it very rarely gets to 32 degrees and my bike was kept inside anyway, there was no reason to worry about anything freezing and so no need for antifreeze. Second was the fan switch mod. Basically you add a switch so that you can manually turn on the fan. When I came to a stop light I would just turn the fan on. You can kind of stay ahead of the heat this way. The combination of the two work pretty well.
What steering damper is that? Nice Gen 1

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Not sure about flashing or if there is someone who can do it here locally. Not a fan of sending the ECU somewhere. The second fan option is doable but will have to pull the radiator out to do it properly. Perhaps getting a similar fan and hooking it through a relay and switch or adding a switch in the existing wiring. there is a Utube video showing how to install a second fan. 3. Looking into engine ice. I think I have used it years ago on my 2004 CBR1000RR.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You really should just send the ECU off for flashing and to lower the fan activation temperature. It's not a big deal at all and you'll get so many benefits from it.

Adding a 2nd fan seems like a whole lot of work and extra weight..

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The site sponsor BrenTuning should be a great option for you but there are many others too. Woolich equipment seems to be the most popular on the forum and I believe that many tuners use it as well.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,157 Posts

·
Chairman of the Board
16,157 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
237 Posts
Gen 1: 2004-05 - Pristine Pearl Blazing Orange 1st gen | Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum
I would say I sold in about 2018. I honestly can't remember as there was a ton of personal doo doo going on in my life at the time. But the mileage was about 13000. It was +1 on the front sprocket for a while so the speedo wasn't correct. She was magnificent and I miss her to be sure.
I'm shocked it took you that long to sell, I would have bought that bike in a minute. Stock valve spring retainers? Any frame cracks?

·
Chairman of the Board
16,157 Posts
I'm shocked it took you that long to sell, I would have bought that bike in a minute. Stock valve spring retainers? Any frame cracks?
Yes sir on the retainers. I had decided if I kept it I was going to do new retainers and springs. It was due. Didn't seem like a terrible DIY job really. No frame cracks. I was always paranoid about that. I didn't wheelie it much and when I did I tried to set it down gently. I was also careful not to over tighten the motor mount bolts when doing PM's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts