Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Pace
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recovered the 2013 10r with 70,500 miles from dealer; dealer rebuilt failed engine under warranty. Starter failed WHILE at shop and was replaced by Kawa corp. Bike felt normal under slab conditions, light traffic, around higher speeds, not insane for conditions, about 20 miles, (CA traffic is used to supers, either they slide to outside lane if room or simply move a few inches to their left to let a super know clear to pass; so beautiful and I thank them always).

The bike felt smooth and together; noticed that trans felt smoother, and can offer no speculation on this other than reporting that N was easy to enter in certain conditions not were normally tricky (no clutch).

Dealer had bike for over 6 and a half months. Admin reported that 10,000 dollars went into the engine YET, he added, the engine is 80% OLD while 20% new.

All covered under the Kawa extended good times warranty, which I so wish I had with my 2011 10r (that failed at 50k miles, doing exact same loop).

Very very very painful to buy extended warranty in a sense as that gave leverage to the wife to veto a new bike. Family thing. One super at a time. I hate no liter, so now have to figure how to ease the situation into TWO superbikes at one time. Won't be easy; I did get AAA towing for everyone in the house! lol yes, I'm just a bit fearful of another failure. Two consecutive failures now strongly with the first never forgotten; indeed thought of it just prior to the '13 failure.

Tomorrow rain but looking good later in the week; and the Sun returns this Thursday!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow that's a long time for repairs. Glad you got it back now and can enjoy thrashing the living shit out of it again! :ayyy:

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
569 Posts
I like to hear Kawi standing behind their products. And AAA (with Motorcycle added) is worth it, hands down. Have been a Gold Plus Member for 12 years.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Scout,
glad you got the bike back.
you mentioned that the bike shifted easier and was easier to find Neutral, you know thats partly due to having some fresh oil in the bike right? If you change that oil every once in awhile your shifts should always be like that. Or at least change the oil when you notice it's not shifting as smooth, I bet your engine will last a lot longer too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The oil changes....It sounded like he said the oil was changed "a couple of times" if I remember correctly? I might be crazy, but it sounded as if the bike may have been driven 20-30,000 miles without an oil change, if not more.

Ive never understood how time becomes a factor in these oil/filter changes. We have a fleet of trucks, at work, and there are always 2-3 guys who really dont understand this time/mileage concept.

Its always the same conversation.....

I say....."Yes, I understand you went through the line, at Jiffy Lube, 3 weeks ago...good for you. However, in those three weeks, you drive to Montana, 3 times, and made a loop through Washington. Thats 5000 miles, and your vehicle needs another oil change...sorry to have to write you up, but 7900 miles between oil changes it not acceptable. If this happens again....."

A tthis point, the answer is always the same..."But, I went to Jiffy Lube, 3 weeks ago....."

·
The Pace
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I like to hear Kawi standing behind their products. And AAA (with Motorcycle added) is worth it, hands down. Have been a Gold Plus Member for 12 years.
AAA yes as wife uses last 900 dollar towing rip off as leverage control freak whatever. On that tow, had a excuse. First, I had two tows in that area, fastline santa clara, one was blown '11 10r engine another was a simple r1 flat. All good. I called them and the Nazi lady told me too far for them and gave me Norm the rip off guy.

Story continues, BUT not too much info as all need to hear this; the Cal call box I used gave me norms connection but I tried to call them back to head's up the wife as she counts the freakin seconds I'm on the bike; BUT battery power was gone.

HOWEVER, cal trans dispatch for cal box had their act together. And Norms rip off knows the timing. Norms got to my bike fast. As we were leaving, here comes another tow with CHIP behind.

Dispatch had just enough power to note that I tried to call back and sent the recovery team.

First time in years I was impressed with my CA bureaucracy.

Some assuming going on but I'm reporting exactly what happened. I Norms was any later, I'd saved hundreds of dollars; fastline towing was the weak link here, and me, a return customer for a third time.

·
The Pace
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wonder if Kawi corp read all the posts about lack of oil changes. Would they have still warrantied the motor? WTF man... WTF. LOL
I think Kawa admin does check this site and they most certainly evaluate closely customer surveys.

They knew already before marketing that the g4 was near perfect configuration BUT was counting on the statistics that most Americans never ride supers hard including track.

However, enough of us DO ride hard, day after day; so, we now we have the FAT g5!

Not about oil. kawa rips the crap testing engine and oil is never a problem; Unless dealer reports sludge crap or whatever.

·
The Pace
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My initial report, upon a few more days of reflection, on the rebuild is all felt normal in the 20 miles return to home from the dealer. The bike felt one with me, immediately, just after the clutch was released in the dealer parking lot; absolutely serious; first thing the wife mentioned, after she arrived home long after myself, as I asked her to wait until my launch, just to reinforce EXACTLY what she already wanted to do, (she has ZERO bike sense whatsoever but does have that female intuition thing, which gets in the way; indeed, while I was suiting up, she gave the 'Do I have to expect to see you broke down on the side of the freeway" with attitude, hands on hips combined with swagger; lol, oddly, loved seeing the wife of age 22) was the bike looked at ease; she knows more than she lets on, for sure ; totally together;

this will sound korny to anyone but those that push super bikes to past 70% of rider ability given safe conditions: the bike welcomed totally welcomed resurrection with me at the helm. It jumped at every opportunity and wanted more; exactly the zen of our sport.

However, I have freezing conditions on part of my loop right now; no ride possible for me until conditions are proper. So today I drove the wife to Safeway Market, Whole Foods Market, Trader Joes Market and to top it off to her 3D breast check up.

Family guy when things are not all good on the loop!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I think Kawa admin does check this site and they most certainly evaluate closely customer surveys.

They knew already before marketing that the g4 was near perfect configuration BUT was counting on the statistics that most Americans never ride supers hard including track.

However, enough of us DO ride hard, day after day; so, we now we have the FAT g5!

Not about oil. kawa rips the crap testing engine and oil is never a problem; Unless dealer reports sludge crap or whatever.
Scout you keep talking about how fat the gen5 is and the gen4 is near perfect. The weight difference is what 4 pounds? :heyyou:

Reactions: rcannon

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most of the time the weight argument means Fuck All. Meaning that the 4 lbs MUST BE FELT by the rider. Many times it is NOT. I have not ridden a Gen 5 so I cannot comment intelligently on the topic, only to state that I have ridden many bikes heavier than the next and it made no difference whats so ever. So there is that........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.