Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP - Bike problems!!

On my wifes 99 R6, i know its a yamaha, after a short ride she gets some electrical short or something (Im assuming, the generator?)

The symptoms are:
1. Gauages will stop working or flash during low RPM's and the bike will stall. During this time, all lights stop working (tail light, head light). If the bile stalls the battery seems to be very low and bike will not crank. But I can push start it.

2. High Rev's will keep the bike from dying.

3. Using the blinkers will cause sypmtom #1 and flash faster than normal.

** I replaced the battery 2 months ago. The bike always cranks right up and has no problems. However, the battery seems to have a low charge on it.

Does anyone know WTF this is?
Thanks,

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
sounds like a generator would be the problem...

try putting a volt meter on the output to see what V you get. I would ASSUME it should be a bit over 13v.

:dontknow:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I bet the generator is the problem. I'm not sure if they still do this but I ran into the same problem on an older bike and the belt that goes from the generator to I would guess the crank was broken. The part was really cheat and pretty easy to put in....

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Believe it or not I have had the same symptoms on an fzr 600- turned out the battery cable had loosened.

Since you have probably checked that- also check for loose or dying fuse, loose connection from on/off bar switch. Those switches can also start to go bad losing the connection intermittently.

I'd check that stuff before going to the gen.

Depending on why you changed the batt 2 mos ago (was it the original old batt?) or did it just up and die? Maybe it is the gen, but check the easy stuff 1st.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
my gf's 02 R6 just went thru the same thing. hers turned out to be a regulator problem, problem being that it was fried. she's going to go get the stator checked out too to make sure its outputting properly but changing the regulator got it back running normally again. with hers, one of the wires going to the regulator was cooked too so i needed a new plug and soldered it on there. she's been running fine for a week now.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya, the more I thought about it... it may be the regulator rectifire(spelling) or the ground coming off the battery.

I will look at the ground connection tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts