Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching and didn't really come up with anything like what happened to me today.

Tried to start the bike up earlier this morning after sitting over night in the garage and it would not start. Engine turned over just fine and everything looked and sounded right, tried about 3 times but it just woulnd't start.

Left it alone and came back later on in the day and was about to start diagnosing it, but I gave it a shot and it fired right up. The only thing I can think of is that is was unusaly cold last night.

Bike only has around 5k miles.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Anymore info you can provide? How many miles on the bike, was it recently serviced, any previous issues etc. I assume you are in san diego, i was going to make a suggestion till i saw that. What i was thinking of as cold is probably not the case (ie below freezing)

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's strange man.. I fired my 10 up a few days ago after sitting in the shop for 2 months in below freezing temps.. Maybe it was just a freak thing?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike has around 5k miles. No services than changing oil a couple hundred miles ago. I'm pretty sure the better is in good condition. Cranked over pretty well when it was cold this morning. And cold for us is usually around 50 but I'm sure it was well into the 30s last night. Snow lever dropped to 1500 which is crazy for so cal.

Latest mod I did was late model gen cluster. But I unplugged the cluster when it was acting up and still did the same thing (cranked, but wouldn't start). I noticed maybe a week ago that it hesitated once to start while craking over.

The bike is still pretty new to me (4 months) and was just curious if there were any other members who have had a similar problem or if there was a reoccuring one that i hadn't heard about yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Could be the battery. I had the same problem here in Sacramento. I didn't start it for two days and the battery died. I keep it in a garage but it's still cold in there. Hooked up to a charger for an hour or so and it fired right up. My bike has 20,000 miles, regular service, etc. I haven't changed the battery yet but if continues, that is the first thing I will try.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
starting

was having the same problem, cranking over strong, for a good period of time, but no start, seemed to crank randomly, then not. quick charge cranked immediately everytime. new battery fixed my problem though old battery seemed fine.

·
Registered
968 Posts
no offense slmhofy but this reminded me of a friend who has an 04 600rr and there for awhile i was wondering if he would ever get it started by himself without txt someone for help. lol, but definetly check out the battery

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roger that. I just got home today after it sitting for a while and it took about 3-4 seconds of cranking over till it started up. I'm sure the battery is original so I will take a look into that.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
When it's really cold old batteries do that.

Mine also does it at the first crank, it even resets the clocks now. Then it's fine.
It's also 7 years old...

Small tip for battery longivity: In the winter remove it from the bike and just charge it at slow charge it for 1/2 hour every 1 month or so...

·
Registered
212 Posts
My bike did the same thing a couple days ago it was around 39 degrees outside and my bike started then shut off and then when I tried again I had to hold the throttle slightly to keep the engine going. I have a battery that's fairly new but I did remove my secondary butterflies and I know that those act like a choke for carbed vehicles but being fuel injected it uses the secondary as a choke for cold starts and other worthless crap. Oh and I'm also in San Diego.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If anyone is still interested or if anyone ever comes across this thread in the future, I've been troubleshooting this problem over for the past week or so.

I'd leave the charger on it for a while, boom start right up. Leave it off for a little bit, takes a little longer to start, leave it off too long and the engine will just turn over and not start.

As it goes, I was installing my speedo healer today and my g/f noticed a drop of water coming from the vent hole from the bottom of the battery tray. My head goes "DING!"

Maybe one drop every 5-10 minutes I'd guess. Tasted it, yup, battery acid. Was dropping from the hole, on to my high/low speed compression adjusters, down to the swing arm and to the floor.

Washed as much off as I could see with baking soda/water. Here's what it did. And a pic showing how wet the battery is.

Any recomendations on a new battery. I've heard these are good, or good price at least. And I'm not sure if I want to fork out $130 for one of those light weight Shorais, though they sound cool.

http://ebatteriestogo.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EBTG&Product_Code=12-620127

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tried searching and didn't really come up with anything like what happened to me today.

Tried to start the bike up earlier this morning after sitting over night in the garage and it would not start. Engine turned over just fine and everything looked and sounded right, tried about 3 times but it just woulnd't start.

Left it alone and came back later on in the day and was about to start diagnosing it, but I gave it a shot and it fired right up. The only thing I can think of is that is was unusaly cold last night.

Bike only has around 5k miles.

Any ideas?
On your motorcycle the top number of throttles is removed?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
On your motorcycle the top number of throttles is removed?
the 2ndary flies have nothing to do with it starting or not and besides....he JUST saud the problem was a "leaky" bad battery.......AND HE TASTED IT he said!!!!!:lol: glad you found the problem though man!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
the 2ndary flies have nothing to do with it starting or not and besides.
The top throttles direct a stream on a correct corner on the bottom spray jets. On it removal of throttles worsens cold start-up and a motorcycle loses capacity on low turns.
In this case I have not read last message where it was told about a problem with the battery.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, secondary throttle plates still installed. Shorai will be here on Friday. I expect that to solve the problem. I'm pretty sure it was the original battery, 6 or 7 years old by now and had just sulfated to the point of pressuring the battery especially on a charger and leaked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts