Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Pace
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2013 g4 was cleared by dealer about one week ago. Ran 1400 miles and running perfectly. Kawa went through the entire engine sorting out oil pressure problem in combination with the bike's history; since already at the dealer, I asked for new tires, forks seals, brake pads, oem brake lines and replaced tail light with a similar after market, all completed perfectly.

This bike was purchased new Sept 2014 and has been in the shop for at least a total of 20 months; valves twice and had to return for an oil leak glitch from prior work. Further complication was that my shop closed and didn't re-open then admin had to sort staff. But outcome worked out.

Moto no has about 101,400 miles; most internal parts are new as anything that appeared worn Kawa wanted to replace. Warranty work except.

This bike had both the five year and the further two year extended warranty making everything work smoothly.

I would buy another new g4 if one is available as love the lightness. Also, remember to go go to this dealer for warranty options:

pricing is competitive; mom and pop shop is my impression.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did they ever give you a reason as to why it took so long to complete the repairs? I can see a few weeks wait, for parts. I would suspect our mechanical guys here could rebuild the engine in a day or two? The rest of your list is pretty normal stuff.

Where did the other 17 months go? Did they extend your warranty due to the bike being in the shop for so long?

·
The Pace
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did they ever give you a reason as to why it took so long to complete the repairs? I can see a few weeks wait, for parts. I would suspect our mechanical guys here could rebuild the engine in a day or two? The rest of your list is pretty normal stuff.

Where did the other 17 months go? Did they extend your warranty due to the bike being in the shop for so long?
5 months in shop with first failed valves at 70k. Valve failure at 80k with another 5 months. With that release tech pinched a gasket so had oil leak. The shop closed just before I was to deliver the bike and then re-opened with new staff. Brought the bike in to have oil leak fixed; tech didn't like a few things earlier techs did and reported up the chain of command to Kawa. THEN Dealer admin changed around middle management and new service admin sorted tech staff and got everything going smoothly. The last 8 months was mostly the shop administrators sorting things.

I'm very patient and have a ton of other crap to do around here, but must say, although I've always had a bike to ride, never dreamed of riding; BUT, the last few months I've been dreaming of that bike all the time. Waking up thinking about the dang thing. New one for me.

Warranty question: I had the Kawa five year extension which ran out September 2019 when bike was in the shop. Kawa, for a fee, offers ANOTHER two years warranty so I accepted. I know Honda offers six years but not sure who else offers seven years besides Kawasaki.

·
Registered
166 Posts
5 months in shop with first failed valves at 70k. Valve failure at 80k with another 5 months. With that release tech pinched a gasket so had oil leak. The shop closed just before I was to deliver the bike and then re-opened with new staff. Brought the bike in to have oil leak fixed; tech didn't like a few things earlier techs did and reported up the chain of command to Kawa. THEN Dealer admin changed around middle management and new service admin sorted tech staff and got everything going smoothly. The last 8 months was mostly the shop administrators sorting things.

I'm very patient and have a ton of other crap to do around here, but must say, although I've always had a bike to ride, never dreamed of riding; BUT, the last few months I've been dreaming of that bike all the time. Waking up thinking about the dang thing. New one for me.

Warranty question: I had the Kawa five year extension which ran out September 2019 when bike was in the shop. Kawa, for a fee, offers ANOTHER two years warranty so I accepted. I know Honda offers six years but not sure who else offers seven years besides Kawasaki.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Scout, I thought I heard a Kawasaki officer scream, from Japan, when he found out you extended the warranty again. What's the plan now? How long do you think you'll keep it? I suppose theres not much to lose from here on?

·
The Pace
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scout, I thought I heard a Kawasaki officer scream, from Japan, when he found out you extended the warranty again. What's the plan now? How long do you think you'll keep it? I suppose theres not much to lose from here on?
My take is opposite. The Kawa Corp warranty works well for the company in certain markets , like the US. People do not ride here at all, statistically; Kawa offers, for a fee, extended to attract buyers. I suspect if not a majority a quartile of buyers respond.

This chunk on funding pot must make money or the fee increases; I suspect very little warranty money is needed to cover warranty contracts in the USA. Be interesting to view the stats. This is the only super that I've had warranty contacts, and all for valves, except not sure about the 2011 10r as that did not have extended.

If Kawa makes money on warranty sales, then riders like me are icing on the cake. I'm happy and so are they as other riders will ALSO cover their funds, based upon my experience, and buy extended.

Current warranty expires Sept, 2021. I will ride the perfected bike until that time then sort out a new super; if all goes well, Kawa will have the '22 10 down to 420 pounds allowing me to retch less with tires.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The 2013 g4 was cleared by dealer about one week ago. Ran 1400 miles and running perfectly. Kawa went through the entire engine sorting out oil pressure problem in combination with the bike's history; since already at the dealer, I asked for new tires, forks seals, brake pads, oem brake lines and replaced tail light with a similar after market, all completed perfectly.

This bike was purchased new Sept 2014 and has been in the shop for at least a total of 20 months; valves twice and had to return for an oil leak glitch from prior work. Further complication was that my shop closed and didn't re-open then admin had to sort staff. But outcome worked out.

Moto no has about 101,400 miles; most internal parts are new as anything that appeared worn Kawa wanted to replace. Warranty work except.

This bike had both the five year and the further two year extended warranty making everything work smoothly.

I would buy another new g4 if one is available as love the lightness. Also, remember to go go to this dealer for warranty options:

pricing is competitive; mom and pop shop is my impression.

Lesson learned for me with this!

One, never trust a stealership to take 1-2 years that you may be able to mitigate yourself.

Two, never buy the ext warranty as its a waste of money and only shows you are a newbie to riding.

Three, never let someone near your bike who has only ridden Yamaha FZ whatever1000 and who wont change the oil or oil the chain. A fool and his money will soon part ways!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts