Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but not new to riding. My dad passed away in 2011 and his 08 zx10r was one of the only things I got from his passing. It has been kept in a trailer this whole time because it was just alittle too hard to deal with it at the time. Now that I am 25, married with 2 kids its time to finally get this thing running again. First on my todo list was to change battery (since it's dead) and the oil and oil filter. I know I'll have to grease the chain, I think it would be best to go ahead and drain the gas tank and get some fresh gas in it as well. I remember seeing some blue fluid underneath the bike a couple years ago when I had to get into the trailer for something but I have no idea what that could be. What could be this blue fluid? And what other fluids or anything else would I need to do to the bike to try starting it again? Before this the bike was used almost every weekend, has about 2000 miles on it so everything else should be In good condition. Any help is appreciated thank you!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Thank you for sharing that with us blue fluid can only be coolant buddie. Bike stood that long inside a trailer for me and my opinion it could have a lot of water from condensation inside the engine, change oil and filter for something not to expensive average semi synthetic will do, drain and flush out cooling system, replace again with a not expensive coolant-anti freeze. Fuel needs dumping and fuel pulling backwards out of fuel lines to throttle bodies and upper injection rail. These really are minimums to starting the bike. To ride the bike, tyres and brake fluids need replacing these 2 are minimums suspension will need servicing. Expect possible issues with seized clutch and be wary of tuning or using this engine for track days or strip, as some of those valve springs will be considerably shorter (weakened) than others. After a few heat cycles and 20-30 mile gentle road riding dump oil and coolant if there reasonable then replace with quality.

·
Registered
2011 ZX-10R. Black bikes matter!
70 Posts
With it sitting that long with fuel in the tank, the entire fuel system will need servicing.

You might want to cross your fingers and say a quick prayer prior to opening the fuel cap. I guarantee the pump assembly is shot and will need replacement, and I hope for your sake the tank is not corroded to hell on the inside.

I have brought numerous bikes back to life after sitting that long, and every single one of them has had rust issues inside the tank. As long as the metal isn't thinned too much from the corrosion, you should be able to get it cleaned and relined.

In addition, all of the fuel injectors will need to be professionally cleaned at minimum and there is a good chance the fuel likes will have degraded from the fuel varnish.

You will also need to replace all fluids, get some new tires, and a new set of brake lines would be a good idea as well. Other than that, I'd clean and relube the chain and just give the entire bike a once over and retorquing.

Prior to spinning the engine over I'd pull the plugs and dump a bit of oil in the cylinders. At least one was sitting with a valve open, so the possibility of corrosion exists in one or more cylinders. Also, the cylinder walls will be dry from sitting that long, so the oil will prevent piston and bore scoring.

Good luck with the bike and please keep us posted. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Below is link to the service manual. You will surely need it.

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I don't have much to add than what's already been mentioned by the guys above. They pretty much nailed it all with the exception of the tires. Those are dangerous at this point. The tread depth means nothing as the rubber has outgassed and hardened over that much time. After you get the motor running, replace the tires before you take it for a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts
That has carbs, if I recall. Tires have to be replaced but carbs might love a couple ounces of fuel injector cleaner, same stuff you use in the auto. Battery must be replaced. I'd hand that bike the injector cleaner to clear whatever in the carbs, new battery, add a bit of fuel, and do the test start. Bet it starts.

But don't ride it until tires are replaced; I'd look at the chain and air filter, too. wd 40, gently, the cables and check brakes. Dealer techs are an option. They'll get it running for you.

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
That has carbs, if I recall. Tires have to be replaced but carbs might love a couple ounces of fuel injector cleaner, same stuff you use in the auto. Battery must be replaced. I'd hand that bike the injector cleaner to clear whatever in the carbs, new battery, add a bit of fuel, and do the test start. Bet it starts.

But don't ride it until tires are replaced; I'd look at the chain and air filter, too. wd 40, gently, the cables and check brakes. Dealer techs are an option. They'll get it running for you.
Carbs? There hasn't been carburetors on a bike since the late '90s. Since the ZX-10R came out in 2004, they have all been fuel injected. :geek:

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts

Carbs? There hasn't been carburetors on a bike since the late '90s. Since the ZX-10R came out in 2004, they have all been fuel injected. :geek:
First Kaws for me was the g4, 2011. When I checked photos of older Kawasaki liters here, all looked like carb relics. So...my Kohler lawn mower runs great, complete with relic typey, and with carbs, so...guessed wrong. But you know I love the Gen 4, crappy valves and all!

·
Registered
2011 ZX-10R. Black bikes matter!
70 Posts
First Kaws for me was the g4, 2011. When I checked photos of older Kawasaki liters here, all looked like carb relics. So...my Kohler lawn mower runs great, complete with relic typey, and with carbs, so...guessed wrong. But you know I love the Gen 4, crappy valves and all!
I've seen you reference valve issues on the Gen 4. What physically happened on your bike? Did the retainers fail, springs break, valve head snap off, or what?

I know the Gen 1 and 2 bikes had issues with valve retainer failures, but that shouldn't be an issue on the newer generations. The majority of Gen 4 valve issues I've seen were caused by overrevving the engine, which could hardly be called an issue with the bike itself. Browsing the forum reveals a small number of random valve issues, but not nearly enough to think it is a common problem with the bike.

As a Gen 4 owner who beats the hell out of his bike, but gives it all the maintenance it deserves, I am quite curious as I plan on keeping the bike for a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't forget the roller bearings in the shock linkage. The rocker are has bearings and at its age I guarantee you they are dry. They didn't get much grease from the factory to begin with. Might as well put new plugs and check the air filter too. If he never serviced the valve clearances it's probably time if it was rode a lot. These bikes will run a very long time if you do the maintenance. I always recommend buying, downloading the shop manual.

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts
I've seen you reference valve issues on the Gen 4. What physically happened on your bike? Did the retainers fail, springs break, valve head snap off, or what?

I know the Gen 1 and 2 bikes had issues with valve retainer failures, but that shouldn't be an issue on the newer generations. The majority of Gen 4 valve issues I've seen were caused by overrevving the engine, which could hardly be called an issue with the bike itself. Browsing the forum reveals a small number of random valve issues, but not nearly enough to think it is a common problem with the bike.

As a Gen 4 owner who beats the hell out of his bike, but gives it all the maintenance it deserves, I am quite curious as I plan on keeping the bike for a while.
Fair question. Frist, Our g4 is a perfect twist bike. Second, I've owned many liter bikes over the years and rode each commuting or for mental exercise, depending upon income situations. G4 was FIRST bike that failed after 50k miles, the 2011. My habit was to sell a super upon 100k. The '11 failed at 50,000 miles doing what I normally do. No extended warranty on it and never had extended in past on all others (non Kawa), I still have that bike. I can report that the clutch side was red hot and smoking The foam was on fire. I also recall thinking 'that nothing nearby that will catch on fire even if the bike blows up.' I'm in the middle of rural no where out of cell phone tower reach. HOWEVER, I heard a popping that I immediately knew was similar to my AR-15 and first thought was, 'cool, someone shooting whatever nearby.'' But it was the bike.

Flash forward to my NEXT bike, the 2013 G4. Bought this as thought the '11 problem was a glitch. SAME above popping noise occurred at 70,000 miles. I bought the extended so goes to shop and valve failure.

Fixed at dealer; (no red hot clutch issue, this time; i immediately knew that rifle fire was not part of the equation and stopped way faster that the '11 failure. I actually thought I could get the '11 back home, so possible the bike simply wanted to blow up trying to do just that). Dealer said valves replaced.

Bike ran perfectly until same valve failure about 99,000 miles, although that figure seems off. Dealer fixed and bike is at about 110,000 miles right now but not riding do family health issues.

So...buy all extended warranties. Kawa backs up everything. Does take dealers time to sort stuff.

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts
Scout rides to the moon and back, without so much of an oil change. So who knows…. 😂😉

Sorry scout, I’m just messing with you!
I did ride a lot; simply the mental portion of my daily workout that included all else others deem as physical-work out with a few extras. Wasn't until I linked up with CBR, R1, FZ1 and 10r sites that it occurred to me that I ride WAY MORE than most. Health and time and financial situation went together.

The wife has a problem with health. Have to wait to as she is priority.

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts
Sorry to hear of your wife’s health issues mate! All my best!
Thanks, Psoriatic arthritis with complications. OK, check this, as you're most likely married. The wife was tough as nails and never had a problem. BUT we had a hint of bone problems a bit back in time, which she ignored but I filed. This arthritis strikes. Now this solid lady is weakened physically and not sorting stuff although I told her to buy whatever she needed. ok. THEN this dang CDC, IHI criminal organizations launched their Trilateral Corona hoax. She's already not thinking with reasoning skills, so buys into all the mass hysteria crap.

Your Coleman wrote about vaccine nonsense. But also check Mercola, Mikovits and Heckenlivley for current material for research base. All began during CFR dumbass FDR's polio nonsense that gave us Salk and Sabin laced vaccines with live and fake dead monkey kidney's. So much written, but the above will give you a base.

Bottom line is that I have to wait until she sorts out stuff if ever. Never know exactly about the future, BUT Christ indeed gave me a hint about her bone problems. I never forgot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts