Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: After ignition it will idle for about 15 seconds, then stall. Unless I hold the throttle open slightly, then it will stay on.

My last riding season ended back in November, the bike has been sitting in my garage, battery out.

Changes since last season:

• Took off Gas Tank / Fuel Pump, to inspect inside of fuel tank, and inspect fuel pump.
  • Took off Radiator to clean, inspect, flush and refill.
  • Took off Exhaust Headers / Muffler to clean and inspect.

I did not add anything or make any new mods. I put about half a gallon of 93 in the tank to start it up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any ideas?
Miles since last valve adjustment? I find valve adjustments that are coming due can cause an interesting array of running issues.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
what bike edit: initial is battery is toast. Even on a trickler, no guarantee. Next guess is kinked fuel line but I'm not sure of 10r fuel line configuration under tank (if kinking is easy).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what bike edit: initial is battery is toast. Even on a trickler, no guarantee. Next guess is kinked fuel line but I'm not sure of 10r fuel line configuration under tank (if kinking is easy).
Battery was on a Battery Tender, it showed fully charged. Fuel lines aren't really able to be kinked in the setup they're in.

Miles since last valve adjustment? I find valve adjustments that are coming due can cause an interesting array of running issues.
I bought the bike with 40,000 miles as something to mess with. It was taken care of as a daily rider for about the first 35,000. The last 5,000 were race miles. The guy I bought it from said everything had just been redone.

Bike was working flawlessly back in November 2016. After sitting for 3 months now it won't run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem with mine as well my issue was that the idle control had actually unscrewed from it position bike would die anytime l let off the throttle. Might be it maybe not worth a shot

·
Registered
578 Posts
depending on the year (you have not said what model year you have). you could just turn up the idle, a little.

or due to the long rest from use, you may have a partially blocked/dirty injector or 2. Ski

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had this problem with mine as well my issue was that the idle control had actually unscrewed from it position bike would die anytime l let off the throttle. Might be it maybe not worth a shot
This is exactly what solved it. When I pulled on the idle cable it just popped out. Bike is now running normally after screwing it back in and adjusting to proper idle RPM.

I didn't know how far to screw it back in, so the first start up it instantly jumped to 10,000+ RPM and scared the absolute shit out of me lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not exactly sure how though. I have never touched the idle cable since I've owned the bike, and it mysteriously pops out?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Was the engine making any strange noises, like its running on less cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts