Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Wondering Who Had Installed The Larger Cam From Kawasaki... Do You See A Big Improvement Over Stock... Also Thinking Of Putting In The Bigger Pistons... Please Tell Me How Much Horsepower Gains Will Be Accomplished After Mod.. Thanks

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I guess there is nothing that is not possible given enough money. I guess the question is why? You must be a hellava rider to already be using what the ZX-10R has to offer stock. Me, I ain't even close. Please tell me you ain't got 1" chicken stripes.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
well, if you have the time and the money. then do it. I just think you will have more of headache. you will need higher oct gas. if you want more hp. the place to look at will be the head. don't know who does head works or how much. with cams. high com pistons and head work. your 10 should put out some killer power. for me. the stock 10 is just fine for me.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have seen the head, there is not much to do.

A ton (ie buckets full) of money would be spent for marginal gains which would probley make the bike less streetable.

f you have the time and the money. then do it. I just think you will have more of headache. you will need higher oct gas. if you want more hp. the place to look at will be the head. don't know who does head works or how much. with cams. high com pistons and head work. your 10 should put out some killer power. for me. the stock 10 is just fine for me.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The motor can be bored to 1051cc's and the cylinders plated again. This is a perfect way to gain some torque/hp without loosing reliability....sneaky too. :wink:

BD

·
Registered
652 Posts
Big Daddy said:
The motor can be bored to 1051cc's and the cylinders plated again. This is a perfect way to gain some torque/hp without loosing reliability....sneaky too. :wink:

BD
yes but it aint cheap to do.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
head work is a waste of money. the intake ports are damn near straight down to begin with. they don't leave a lot of room for improvement in these liter bikes there already most of the way there.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Big Daddy said:

BD
Where did you find this out?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
1killer1liter said:
Where did you find this out?

well you can bore about anything out you just need to make sure and leave enough material for the waterjacketing and get the cylinders replated..
that sounds like a 2mm overbore.

Millenium does the cylinders I'm sure and I'd guess that the pistons are avaivable from JE.
cost would probaly be right at $1000.and of course you'd need some new gaskets as well.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Big Daddy said:
I'm sworn to secrecy............:sleepy2:

actually KMC has high comp pistons for the 10 but their stock bore, however JE Pistons are the 1051cc slugs that i found a couple of months ago and MT is the plating Co.
http://www.mt-llc.com/technology/index.shtml

BD

looks like i made a pretty good guess then huh?? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
363 Posts
JE makes stock bore pistons that bump the compression to 13.5 and just require a "de-glaze". If I have to run race gas, which I do, these seem like a pretty good idea. I'll bet they're cheaper than the kmc parts too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
rocketracermike said:
you can't bore the engine. are you talking about higher compresson pistons.
Your info is wrong. You can safely bore up to 3mm over and re-nikisel the cylinder. And still ride on the street. I have one thats Stroked and Bored. and one with a 3mm piston kit a street bike.

Be careful wit hthe Cams no real good Spring kit has been developed for cams more aggressive than the Kawi Kit cam.

·
Registered
92 Posts
crispin said:
I have seen the head, there is not much to do.

A ton (ie buckets full) of money would be spent for marginal gains which would probley make the bike less streetable.

f you have the time and the money. then do it. I just think you will have more of headache. you will need higher oct gas. if you want more hp. the place to look at will be the head. don't know who does head works or how much. with cams. high com pistons and head work. your 10 should put out some killer power. for me. the stock 10 is just fine for me.
[/QUOTE]

Wrong!! I picked up 10 HP doing the head and installing the Thin gasket on my Super Sport ZX10 that I raced in AMA PRostar 1000ss. Still using Stock Cams degreed. I have over 2000 race miles on the bike no problems what soever

Been as quick as [email protected] Stock Wheelbase and [email protected] in the heat last week at 60"'s with extensions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Big Daddy said:
and how does it perform??

BD
My Super Sport bike makes 176RWHP on MR9
The other one's make damn good power cant tell because they are strictly raced for $$$. But they make way more than my SS bike.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
normjack said:
Wrong!! I picked up 10 HP doing the head and installing the Thin gasket on my Super Sport ZX10 that I raced in AMA PRostar 1000ss. Still using Stock Cams degreed. I have over 2000 race miles on the bike no problems what soever

Been as quick as [email protected] Stock Wheelbase and [email protected] in the heat last week at 60"'s with extensions.
how much of that 10 hp do you think is from the head and NOT from the degree/thin gasket???
what octane gas are you using???
this is the bike you can talk about, right???
thanks...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts