Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Squid
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 16t front sprocket last night i tried swapping it, and i cant get the damm nut loose i tried ith an impact and a breaker bar and the thing wouldnt budge. first i tried ith the 32mm socket, then i tried the other two surfaces and now the edges are starting to round on all three surfaces i dont care about the bolt i can buy a new one i just ant the old one off asap.... any ideas?? thanks.:dontknow:

· Retired post whore
8,471 Posts
Did you make sure all of the edges of the lock washer behind that nut were perfectly flat before you started?

· Chickenstrip Eater
4,084 Posts
Just trade the bike to me for my 07, I'll deel with it as long as you don't strip the cap to the blinker fluid.

They're a bitch. I had to use a breaker bar on my 1st gen for extra leverage. 6 point socket would've been the 1st and only thing to use.

· can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,477 Posts
as stated above, make sure that washer is flat. mine was real easy. i used a craftsman electric impact gun and it broke loose on the second hit.

i was kinda stunned it came off so easy after reading the troubles some have had.

· Retired post whore
8,471 Posts
i was kinda stunned it came off so easy after reading the troubles some have had.
I didn't have any problems either - a couple cranks from the impact gun and it flew right off. Maybe he needs to up the pressure on his impact gun?

· MIdlife PIMP
3,464 Posts
if you have rounded off the nut,.....and have access to a welder,...you can drill 2 or 3 holes in the end of your socket,.and plug weld it to the nut,........the heat will warm the nut and the socket,........LOL......will not slip anymore, I have done it a few times in automotive applications,.......but the guys above are right,..you need a powerful impact gun with some decent air pressure to break it free,.........plus when you are done,...just grind flat the welds and drill em out,.pop the nut out and grind it to fit another 6 point socket(sae maybe) and put it back on the bike,.....but I would def order another and replace the butchered one as soon as you can!.......good luck!!!........o yeah,........make sure the bike is in nuetral with a buddy sitting on it with rear brake applied,.........you don't want the tranny gears taking the impact over and over and over!.......

· MIdlife PIMP
3,464 Posts
you also might wanna wait a few minutes between plug welds also, so they can completly cool,.as there are seals nearby and don't wanna melt or warp em!,.......cuz,...LOL......you think you got problems now?...LOL............good luck man!

· inappropriate
7,730 Posts
give yourself some more leverage buy assembling some kind of extension to the handle of your ratchet. use a long piece of pipe, put in on the handle of the ratchet and bounce on it a couple times while someone holds the bike upright. good luck

· Registered
346 Posts
i bought a 16t front sprocket last night i tried swapping it, and i cant get the damm nut loose i tried ith an impact and a breaker bar and the thing wouldnt budge. first i tried ith the 32mm socket, then i tried the other two surfaces and now the edges are starting to round on all three surfaces i dont care about the bolt i can buy a new one i just ant the old one off asap.... any ideas?? thanks.:dontknow:
Heat it with a propane torch but don't burn the seal. Just warm it up good.
I have the same issues on my sproket and clutch basket nut because I locktight them both.
I have two 6 point inpact sockets that I have ground the faces flat on so that they seat against the nuts good.

· Registered
664 Posts
Methinks you did not try the search feature or you would have found many tips.

· MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Put the largest socket on the outside nut of the nut and take a nice size hammer and give the socket a few good taps, this will insure the locking washer is completely flattened. Then with a good impact and with good air pressure the nut will fly off.

My guess is the washer isn't completely flattened and just one little corner will make this a major PITA.

Tread

· Squid
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put the largest socket on the outside nut of the nut and take a nice size hammer and give the socket a few good taps, this will insure the locking washer is completely flattened. Then with a good impact and with good air pressure the nut will fly off.

My guess is the washer isn't completely flattened and just one little corner will make this a major PITA.

Tread
i flattened the washer perfect and used a very good impact and breaker bar that thing would not budge this is my 3rd attemt i have the new sprocket and the new nut i just need the old one off, i cant believe this is giving me such trouble:dontknow:

· Registered
23,477 Posts
i flattened the washer perfect and used a very good impact and breaker bar that thing would not budge this is my 3rd attemt i have the new sprocket and the new nut i just need the old one off, i cant believe this is giving me such trouble:dontknow:
Try a search on this site there are so many members that had an easy time and a bad time with so many variations on how to take it off..............but if you look in your Avatar that's the way I KNOW I can take it off easy. It's on my hydrolic Lift so the front is steady, then strap down or have someone sit on the back brake and use a 24in breaker bar lifting up starting from down low like a weight lifter does pull press down low..breaks every time for me now NO matter how tight, and many of my Air tools had trouble unlike others. :wink:

bloo

· Registered
1,765 Posts
I know how you feel, I had a really hard time getting mine off too. I tried heat, Huge breaker bar, impact, bike in neutral with someone on the back break, bike in gear and that got me nowhere. finally I put a rod through the back wheel and swingarm where there wasn't any play got a 5ft breaker bar and had someone hold the bike and used all my body weight against the breaker bar, It finally came loose I about busted my a** when it broke loose but i didn't care. Hopefully this helps good luck man!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.