Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change out the fork oil on my 2011 and I'm reading through the manual and it shows using a rod guide case wrench (???) to remove the inner assembly. $100 tool from Kawi. Race Tech seems to make one for $45.

Has anyone tackled this job without this tool on the big piston forks or know of a cheaper alternative? Kind of an expensive tool for such a small job.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yup, serviced a few Big Piston Forks. And if you want to completely dissemble the forks then yes you do need that tool. I wouldnt bother with the OEM one. The cheapest one I found is the one Race Tech makes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Think this tool would work?

The manual says the tool is 35mm and so is this one. Seems like it could slide over the tube and down into there.

*****EDIT*****Nevermind, I just ordered the race tech tool. Just want to get this done.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Ont he throttle has a video showing how to do it.
But im pretty sure you do need the tool

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ont he throttle has a video showing how to do it.
But im pretty sure you do need the tool
Yeah, he uses a different tool in that video, one that I haven't seen before for sale. And you have to pay to see the whole vid, no thanks. The manual should work fine for me. I've worked on plenty of forks and have tools for standard and upside down forks, just not the BPFs.

I did order the tool. I'm still feeling bad for spending $45 on a simple hand tool though, ugggg. It should be a $5 tool.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Haha, as long as you got the job done you are good.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yeah, he uses a different tool in that video, one that I haven't seen before for sale. And you have to pay to see the whole vid, no thanks. The manual should work fine for me. I've worked on plenty of forks and have tools for standard and upside down forks, just not the BPFs.

I did order the tool. I'm still feeling bad for spending $45 on a simple hand tool though, ugggg. It should be a $5 tool.
The only other way I could figure is if you found a 41/43 mm nut, and welded 2 of them together.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished the job up. Used 1 liter of Motul factory line 5W oil between the two forks. Needed the special tool for sure. Got the motion pro tool for removing the cap as well, it came in handy so I didn't scratch up the cap just using an adjustable wrench...which would have worked I think.

So, just posting this up for future reference. To perform the fork oil change on the big pistons forks you need:
1 liter fork oil (services 2 forks)
Fork cap wrench or socket (8-sided)
17mm wrench
19mm wrench
Case guide wrench (race tech seems to be the cheapest, it's a good tool)
Fork oil level gauge/syringe tool

+tools to remove front wheel and forks from bike.

FYI, these are the same tools you need to change out your springs, or do any work on the forks in general.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Good stuff

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you please give us the size of the allen to dissasemble the inner part?

I would like to machine my own tool as I did for my axle tool

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1494334&postcount=1

Thanks
The tool has 33mm on one side, 35mm on the other. The 35mm side is what I used. If you make your own, be sure to not round of the edges at the bottom and use a very hard metal. The case where the tool goes is very shallow and it's easy to slip out of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Think this tool would work?

Amazon.com: Tusk Compression Body Fork Cap Tool HONDA CRF250R CRF450R KAWASAKI KLX450R KX450F YAMAHA WR450F YZ125 YZ250 YZ250F YZ450F: Automotive

The manual says the tool is 35mm and so is this one. Seems like it could slide over the tube and down into there.

*****EDIT*****Nevermind, I just ordered the race tech tool. Just want to get this done.

Do not order this tool to do this job, it doesn not work. I can prouve it

kman0066: You should remove you comment if possible

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lol

I'm going to change out the fork oil on my 2011 and I'm reading through the manual and it shows using a rod guide case wrench (???) to remove the inner assembly. $100 tool from Kawi. Race Tech seems to make one for $45.

Has anyone tackled this job without this tool on the big piston forks or know of a cheaper alternative? Kind of an expensive tool for such a small job.
Here is handmade 35mm wrench for Showa suspension 45mm - $ 7 :thumbsup:

Made by me :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
an anyone post a link for the race tech, in ebay or amazon...

that type of things your never need it until you need it...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Here is handmade 35mm wrench for Showa suspension 45mm - $ 7 :thumbsup:

Made by me :biggrin:
Cool beans! Just curious though, I would think the pipe wouldn't have been necessary and you could have just welded the 2 nuts together?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts