Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched this video for years now and don't think I have ever shared it with my fello .netters. I did use the search button and didn't see anything.:lol: But this is what they call the Jewfish or Goliath Grouper. Caught under a damn bridge in Florida. If you feel the need to watch more. The actual host was by himself fighting one of these things and it broke his pole. :badteeth:

For the guys that want to see how big this thing is and don't wanna watch the whole fight, fast forward too 8:00.

But for the real fisherman that can appreciate this monster, start at 2:18. They literally use a 5 lb fish for bait!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I was diving once in Mexico and I thought...what is the Volkswagen doing down here...Until it swam away!

They are big SOB's.....tell me though do you eat them when they are that big?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
caught a 300lb halibut, took about 2 hours to get in the boat, that was definitely hard work. cant believe how much harder a 500lb fish would be

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Back in the 60's, fishing for Jewfish was quite popular in the Tampa Bay area. People made a special "rig"..a truck inner tube thrown over a dock or bridge piling, attach a nylon rope, a steel leader and large hook with a whole mullet. The fish would take the bait and "fight" with the inner tube stretching. When the fish wore itself out, the fisherman would pull it in. This practice was banned since it loosened the pilings! Much of the fish served as "fishsticks" in public scools in Fla was actually Jewfish.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Can't be very pleasant for the fish...

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in the 60's, fishing for Jewfish was quite popular in the Tampa Bay area. People made a special "rig"..a truck inner tube thrown over a dock or bridge piling, attach a nylon rope, a steel leader and large hook with a whole mullet. The fish would take the bait and "fight" with the inner tube stretching. When the fish wore itself out, the fisherman would pull it in. This practice was banned since it loosened the pilings! Much of the fish served as "fishsticks" in public scools in Fla was actually Jewfish.
Man that takes the fun out of it for sure!! The way I see it you should only get a fish if your man enough to put up a big enough fight for it. Biggest fish I have ever caught was a 64lb spoonbill when I was 16. Was a 45min fight from the banks and best believe my arms were dead by the time I got him in. I couldn't imagine 500lbs!! That'd be like tying a rope to your 10R and playing tug a war. :lol:

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts