Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So enlight of the fact that the racers are using an engine with a modified crank and cam shafts to rearrange the firing order so that they get better power control out of the turns who here will be the first to build a big bang motor.

Just a dumb question for all of you mod happy individuals out there .

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Yeah ask the R1 contingent about 'big bang' stuff. :mrgreen:

BD

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've actually heard of UK Superbike teams experimenting with big bang cranks, and timing.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have not heard too much from the Japanese bikes about the specifics. Ducati's original plan with their V-4 was to have each of the paired cylinders fire at the same time instead of having 1 paired cylinder on the power stroke while the other was on the exhaust stroke.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
So it's more than one cylinder firing at a time? Interesting.

How does that improve traction? It seems like it would do the oppisite.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The thinking is that the greater time between firing pulses give the tire an opportunity to get hooked up. Harold Eckl (Kawasaki MotoGP team manager) has said he doesn't think there is really anything to it. He felt it was just in the riders head. He did make that statement before they had tested one and the Team Green riders went faster with the "Big Bang Motor" even though it is supposed to be a little down on power to the "screamer" motor that they used previously.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As i read it the tire actually "feels" the pulses of the engine and even though the pulses are bigger it has a longer time span inbetween to regain traction.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That, and it allows for a falling torque curve....ie, as the revs rise, the torque curve doesn't grow as quickly or lessens, as opposed to a screamer motor.....which in turn allows the tire to hook more because when it does spin up and the revs rise, your power drops....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts