Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For thise who have degreed thier cams what is the best way or method for mount the degree wheel to the crank?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
however you can best get it on there without obstruction. the last bike I did cams on was a Busa and I attached it from the stator side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bobster said:
With the engine removed, we mounted to the oposite end of cam gears.
Not exactly clear on what you mean here Bob. I got the engine out and the only place the wheel might go is on the crank or I'll have to open up the other side of the engine and see what is available there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
ZX ZBest said:
Not exactly clear on what you mean here Bob. I got the engine out and the only place the wheel might go is on the crank or I'll have to open up the other side of the engine and see what is available there.
We mounted it on the crank, opposite end of the cam gears, chain side. And turned the crank for adjustments, turning the crank with a wrench from the cam chain side of engine. Theres obviously only 2 ends of the crank. 1 side for wheel and other side to turn for making adjustments.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
left side of motor as you are sitting on bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I follow you now! If I can only figure out how or where all the tappet shims should go being they all fell out, then I can get started on degreeing. Not that anyone else is as stupid as me but do not turn your head upside down once off. Things fall out!
:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
ZX ZBest said:
I follow you now! If I can only figure out how or where all the tappet shims should go being they all fell out, then I can get started on degreeing. Not that anyone else is as stupid as me but do not turn your head upside down once off. Things fall out!
:eyecrazy:

yea you learned your lesson there didn't you... your in for a tedious task then.. :mrgreen:
I had a head i bought from someone with NO shims installed and heres what I did..
I took the smallest shims and used those as a baseline for measurement.
then I laid out what I had and tried to figure out what would work best with what I had..
you may find that you need some different sized shims and I was able to swap some out with the local dealer so that I could get all my valves in spec.

take your time on the shims though because you don't want to make a mistake and end up doing it all over again. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I did mine fromt he right side so I could remove the timing wheel and use that hoile for the degree wheel, but you need spacers to make things not hit the cases. call Ivan it is what I did.

·
Registered
652 Posts
BNninja said:
I did mine fromt he right side so I could remove the timing wheel and use that hoile for the degree wheel, but you need spacers to make things not hit the cases. call Ivan it is what I did.
he dont a spacer if he uses the other end.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
what did you thread it into then?? In THe Dale Walker video he drill the crank bolt so he can use that side but I dont have a tap set.

·
Registered
652 Posts
BNninja said:
what did you thread it into then?? In THe Dale Walker video he drill the crank bolt so he can use that side but I dont have a tap set.
not sure what you mean! there is a bolt there in the end of the crank. along with the sprocket assembly that connects up to the starter. someone gave you bad info. you should have removed the cover and you would have seen it there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts