Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've finally found it. I have a friend that's crazy into chemical makeups of things and writes alot of posts on an f150 website about cleaning/ waxing products and the such. Having never owned a black bike and having a million concerns about the color, he was the first one i went to when i started asking questions.

First let me say i had no idea black was so tempermental. Even the wrong towel would put fine scratches in the paint.:headshake ....Where i live in palm desert, it regularly gets over 110. I cant even take some spray detailer and rub to get off the bugs without scratching. (and that's with a micro fiber towel)

So that being said, you guys want the best of the best try this and then comment.

Obviously start with a clean bike. Apply Meguire's NXT tech paste wax. It's a full synthetic. This alone will remove scratches and leave an AMAZING shine. Let the was sit over night. Next morning apply some of Meguire's #26 I always do 2 coats.

There you have it. I can't get technical on the chemical make ups like my friend can, but just let me say.....amazing shine but more importantly protection and you shouldn't have to do this but every 3-4 months of riding. For quick touch ups I use the Mequire's NXY spray detailer. It puts loved products like honda polish to shame.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Zaino is still better... and damn I miss this bike... :headshake

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Will that work for an Orange bike?

Tread

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
El Diablo said:
Zaino is still better... and damn I miss this bike... :headshake

Zaino is a very solid product that is highly respected but, I still tend to see that saran-wrapped look rather than a deep, warm, luster.... I'm not bashing on Z, it's just that I like the appearance of other products more than I do Z ... or straight NXT... or straight MPPP for that matter.

A finish with the Z will give you such high gloss that it can detract from a flake/pearl finish. But NXT (another high gloss) with a great Carnuba like #26...or #16 topcoat, if you can find it will yield incredible depth. Much Much more so than Zaino. Zaino gives shine...but not close to the depth...Depth is what's needed to bring out the flake in most of todays modern finishes. You don't want a finish so shiny when you step back that it drownds out some of the effect of flake. besides, the NXT really covers and protects in between the top coats of carnuba over the following months after initial application

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
hotstang46 said:
Zaino is a very solid product that is highly respected but, I still tend to see that saran-wrapped look rather than a deep, warm, luster.... I'm not bashing on Z, it's just that I like the appearance of other products more than I do Z ... or straight NXT... or straight MPPP for that matter.

A finish with the Z will give you such high gloss that it can detract from a flake/pearl finish. But NXT (another high gloss) with a great Carnuba like #26...or #16 topcoat, if you can find it will yield incredible depth. Much Much more so than Zaino. Zaino gives shine...but not close to the depth...Depth is what's needed to bring out the flake in most of todays modern finishes. You don't want a finish so shiny when you step back that it drownds out some of the effect of flake. besides, the NXT really covers and protects in between the top coats of carnuba over the following months after initial application
How can you say that after seeing ED's pics or presumably vehicles using Zaino in person? The metal flake in ED's paint is clearly visible and the black looks like you could dive into it. Meguires is good stuff. I've used there products for years. But if applied correctly, I've never seen anything make paint look better than Zaino.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
phastone said:
How can you say that after seeing ED's pics or presumably vehicles using Zaino in person? QUOTE]

Because I've used zaino before. Let me make myself clear again. Zaino is a good product!! I can't put it any more clearly than that. However, the new synthetics that have come out when used as a base followed by a carnuba top will provide a better result on pearl and metal flake finishes. I'm not trying to argue here but only give good advice to those that are as anal and meticulous as I am about the care and maintenance of my machine.

the vehicle I test almost all my stuff on is my custom painted f150 with Planet Color Paint. Has 9 layers of paint...flake...and 6 coats clear. On a paint like that you see differences. Zaino is not as good, however in it's defense it's less time consuming. If one wants the best.....The combination I'm speaking of will give the best results....

Give it a shot and you'll see!

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
hotstang46 said:
apply some of Meguire's #26 I always do 2 coats.

Can you be more specific? I went to the auto parts store and found the NXT in paste and squeeze bottle but couldnt find the #26. What exactly is it and where to find it?

Tread

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 13 of 13 Posts